Tuesday, December 31, 2013

December 2013 Summary Part 1

Well, I decided on the summary route. I'll post the "display" picture for each box with a little summary of what's in it/my reaction. And I want to point out, I don't plan to do it this way again. It's just because I'm feeling really sick and I'm so behind. Next month will resume normal posts.

Wantable

This included:
Overall, I mostly liked what I got. When the sent out the email saying that Starlooks was a featured brand this month, I didn't initially want any, since I already get their subscription and I worried there would be possible dupes. Luckily, I didn't get anything I already had. I'm not a huge fan of the eye pencil because it's not a hugely flattering color, but the shadow makes a good base color. The Girlactik shadow is awesome, just like the shimmer powder I got last month. The La Bella Donna eyeliner pen seems pretty good. I'm kind of overloaded on black liners though. I switched up my profile a bit for next month to try to avoid getting more. The bonus item isn't a bad size, but kind of reminds me of hotel soap. The value of this box was $66. More than the box cost, but a tad low. I did only get 4 full size items though. I still like Wantable though.

Julep Monthly Box

I upgraded to the full collection which included 9 polishes (I added on one more), the Neutral Eye Palette, their Blank Canvas Mattifying Eye Primer, and a set of Twistband hair ties as the bonus (bah). I really like most of the polishes (that's why I upgraded!), but I think my favorites are Joelle and Shoshanna because of the holographic glitters. I think they look better with at least 3 coats though - Julep's swatches don't do them justice. The eye primer isn't bad and I was super happy with the palette. The colors are really soft, almost creamy (even though they're pressed powder), and nicely pigmented. I hope they make more palettes! I was very happy with my box.

Julep Naughty and Nice Mystery Box
Just to note, I added on the mystery add on (I think it was the Kajal liner and 3 of the polishes) and also bought their Eyes All Aglow set (I had a 40% off coupon - I figured why not? I got everything for only $31!) They just all came in the same box, so I took a picture of everything. The Eyes All Aglow set is fantastic. Mini liners, but I love, love the colors. Sparkly and very soft and smooth!
Of the polishes, 4 were new to me (first set of swatches) - I like Aviva and Brenda, but I'm not so sure about the other 2. The other 5 are dupes and are now in my swap list. Those are in the second swatch picture. The Kajal liner, part of the mystery add-on, was a dupe, but I love it, so I'm keeping it (swatched on the bottom of the last picture)! The mystery box also included a tube of their lip gloss in Timeless (keep), a 1 oz Rock Star Hand Cream (dupe and I just arranged a trade for it!), a 1 oz Blank Canvas Face Primer (keep), a set of Green Tea Blotting Papers (dupe), 2 foil packets of Luxe Repair (dupe), and 2 foil packets of Luxe Care hand cream (keep). A mixed box, but not bad for $31.

Square Hue
I tried to resist, but in the end caved and got Square Hue this month. It came with a glossy red, a pearlescent white, and a GORGEOUS silver holo! The holo makes it worth it! Love it.

Phone Case of the Month
This is a cute case and I like it better than last month's for sure, but I still kinda would prefer something a bit girlier. I guess it's easier to make everything gender neutral if they have a big subscription base and don't have time to see if the subscriber is a man or woman, but I've seen some very pretty cases. I think I'm giving them one more month.

Glossybox

My MIL gifted me a 6 month subscription to Glossybox, which was very sweet! This month we got:
  • Anatomicals You Need a Blooming Shower shower gel ($3.39) - huge product! I'm not a huge rose scent lover though. Probably trading this.
  • Michael Todd Pumpkin Mask ($10) - I got one of these from Ipsy, which I haven't gotten to try yet. Whether I like that one or not decides whether this stays or goes.
  • Ardency Inn Liquid Eyeliner ($19) - Full size! As I said above, I like black liquid eyeliner, but I have soo many. I'll keep this, but I really don't need any more!
  • Nails Inc Victoria Polish ($9.50) - Unlike earlier this year, when we got a mini Nails Inc from Glossybox, this one is full size! Unfortunately, it looks a lot like Julep's Coco, so I don't think I'm going to keep it. I didn't swatch it to be sure, but the pictures online look pretty similar.
  • Naobay Oxygenating Cream ($26.14) - Absorbs quickly and smells nice. Definitely a keeper. I kinda wish we got the original packaging though! Cute!
Overall value $68.03! Not bad! I'm pretty happy with the variety, too! My only complaint for Glossybox is that I can't merge this gift subscription with my old account or move my Glossydots over so that I don't lose those Glossydots!

Well, I'm spent for now. I'll continue with the other 6 tomorrow. I do technically have 2 others (Citrus Lane and Kiwi Crate) that aren't even open yet, but they're Emily's and she's a bit overloaded from Christmas, so I'm saving them for next month. I may or may not review those 2 since they'll be old news by then, haha.  
 
(And just a disclaimer: I bought these boxes myself and was not compensated for these reviews in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment