Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Rocks Box November 2013 Set 2 Review

I've already reviewed my first set of jewelry from Rocks Box, so this will be for the second set! Just as a reminder, when I signed up, there was a deal to get the first month free, so I decided to give it a try. Rocks Box is a jewelry rental subscription - it's kind of like Netflix. For $19 (or less if you go with a longer subscription), you get a box of 3 pieces of jewelry, wear them as long as you'd like, then pack it back up in the included paid envelope, and they send you another when they get it back (as many times as you'd like per month). A twist to this box is that if your really love something you get, you can buy it from them at 20% off retail (you just keep the piece and they charge you for it). When you sign up, you take a quiz to determine your style and the kinds of pieces you want (earrings/necklaces/bracelets/rings) so that the pieces they send you are tailored to that style. When you send a box back, you also fill out some feedback on the pieces you got, which I believe they take into account for your next box.

I'd say it was probably a little more than a week from dropping off the first set at the post office and getting my next set. That bums me out just a little bit. Obviously, I don't expect them to pay for 2 day shipping or anything - that would be ridiculously expensive for them - but that really limits the number of times you get can a new set each month. As it stands, my 3rd set is set to arrive just a couple days before my first free month runs out. And that's only because I haven't been keeping the jewelry very long. Normally, I'd probably want to keep the jewelry a bit longer to really get good use out of it, especially if it's a set I really like. I did appreciate that they sent an email when they received the box back and then another email with tracking information for the next set. I like to keep track of that stuff.
Opening the box
Right there on the top, I actually "oooh"ed. That necklace is so my style!
In organza bags
Based on this first look, I was pretty sure I'd like the necklace definitely the best, followed by the earrings. I really wasn't sure about the bracelet. It's not really a color I go for typically.
Info sheet
So, first up, the necklace - it's a Viento Stilla Polished Pendant in Ruthenium ($85 - not on the site currently, I'll just have to take Rocks Box's word for it). Alas, the necklace was just a tad too long. Without any way of adjusting it due to the skinny links in the regular part of the necklace. I put it on and it pretty much immediately got eaten up in my cleavage. Bah. I tried pulling the back backwards a bit, down my back, but I knew it wouldn't stay for more than a minute or 2 without moving. It would've been great a few inches shorter! I believe I rated it a like just due to the length. Obviously, it went back, sadly.
Viento Stilla
The earrings were Urban Gem Pyramid Scheme Earrings in Antique Silver ($38, not sure if they have a site...I couldn't find one.). These weren't too bad, but were a bit heavy. I'm not a fan of earrings that stretch your lobe. I don't want saggy earlobes by the time I'm 50! Plus, I just wasn't a fan of the finish. I found it hard to tell if it was indeed just the "antique" part of the name of these and they looked that way on purpose or if they were just heavily used. I'm giving Rocks Box the benefit of the doubt, of course, because everything else has been in great condition. I just don't like the antique look.
Urban Gem Pyramid Scheme Earrings in Antique Silver
Wearing the earrings
So, last up was the Nakamol Mixed Crystals Five Times Blue Leather Wrap Bracelet ($55). I didn't really think much of this at first since I'm not usually drawn to this light greenish color, but once I put it on, I loved it! This ended up being the most worn piece by far. I wore it every day I had it! I definitely considered buying it and searched Etsy for similar less expensive pieces (I didn't find anything cheaper that had a variety of stones like this has). I sent it back simply because my budget is tight right now and $55 seems like a lot to pay for a wrap bracelet. Well, $44.60 with the discount. Still a bit pricey. I definitely rated it a "love", though, and enjoyed it while I had it. (I shouldn't have looked at their site! So many cute wrap bracelets! Including a purple one! I love purple!)
Nakamol Mixed Crystals Five TImes Blue Leather Wrapped Bracelet
Wearing the bracelet
Rocks Box set 2
http://distilleryimage9.ak.instagram.com/4574fac6533811e396030e757d22c9e0_8.jpg
Wearing all 3 pieces (I have the necklace hiked up here)

So, again, kind of a mix of things that worked out and things that didn't. I really enjoyed the bracelet. In fact, I noticed that of the 2 sets I've tried, the bracelet has been the piece I liked most, so I changed my quiz and added a note to request only bracelets for my third set. Which is set to come tomorrow! I can't wait!

Unfortunately, the deal I used to get my first month free is expired now, but if you sign up with my link, you'll get $10 off your first month, which at least is about half off! If you get Rocks Box, what kinds of pieces do you get? Anything you've loved and bought?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself (well, this month was free due to a deal open to everyone - it was NOT provided to me in exchange for a review) and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I included referral links.)


No comments:

Post a Comment