Sunday, November 10, 2013

Wantable November 2013 Review

Yay, Wantable! My favorite sub! I always get excited when Wantable arrives! For $36/month (or $40 if you just want to buy a single box without a subscriptions), you get 4-5 full size premium makeup products (they also have a jewelry subscription and a new intimates subscription if either of those is your thing - it's not mine). When you sign up, you fill out a quiz that has you rate different makeup types (like lipstick, blush, and eyeshadow) as love, like, or dislike and within those categories, you rate things like application type (like cream vs. powder blush) and colors (like neutral vs. brights). Things that you rate as dislike, you will never get in your box, while things you love are more likely to show up than things you like.

So, before I get into the review for this month I need to touch on something. I'm not entirely sure when it happened because there was no notification, but September was the last month I got 5 or 6 products, so I think it must've started in October. Wantable is now only sending 4-5 products each month. I'm fairly certain their site used to say 5-6 and I used to get 5-6. Oddly, there was a couple weeks where the site actually updated to say 3-4 products, and I got pretty upset about that, but now I just checked again tonight and it says 4-5. I'm not happy with the lack of communication about this downsizing of boxes. I don't think they're upping the quality of what we get, so it just bums me out that we get less for the same price now. Looking back, I used to get a value of $90-100 every month for the $36 paid, but now it's down to $70-80. It's still well over the purchase price, so I'm not disappointed enough to unsubscribe, and I do feel a little better now that the site says 4-5 rather than 3-4, but I just wish they'd let us know rather than sneaking it. Anyway, moving on.

Opening the box
Info sheet
My bonus item this month was a sample of Skiin Instant Skin Tightener and Line Filler (no value listed on the sheet, but ~ $8.10). This is a pretty good size sample, though I'm not sure the bottle would be closeable once opened. It looks like it's mainly for around the eyes, but I may try it on my brow crease!
Skiin Instant Skin Tightener and Line Filler sample
My first product is a Peepers by Darla Eyeshadow in the color Tiny Tooter ($18). I like the packaging on this - it's pretty cute. I didn't look it up until now, but I now see that the eyeshadow on the website appears way darker than the one I got. I'm sure I did get Tiny Tooter, but the difference in colors would make me a little wary of ordering from their website since their online colors appear way more dramatic and dark than in real life. To be fair, my pictures of it look a bit washed out, so they're unfortunately not accurate either, but I'd say the actual color is in between. I do like it somewhat. It's a pretty purple, although I don't see the gold sparkle the website mentions - it actually seems a bit more silver to me, and very faint. There's not a whole lot of fall out, but without a primer, it takes a lot to get some color payoff. That's my main complaint with a lot of pressed shadows, though. I like it well enough, but I wouldn't buy more.
Peepers by Darla Eyeshadow in Tiny Tooter
Better lit closeup to show sparkle
Next up was a Girlactik Beauty Precise Marker Liner in Black ($20 although the info sheet says $19). I like liquid eyeliner, so I like this! The formula seems good so far and the tip was good for making a variety of lines precisely, so I'll definitely add this one to my rotation. The brand name is weird to me. It just looks like something you'd see in the lower end of quality - something cheap from Walmart. But, whatever, it works.
Girlactik Beauty Precise Marker Liner in black
Swatches of the Peepers Eyeshadow (over primer and over no primer - pretty big difference) and the Girlactik Liner
Next, another Girlactik product, is Girlactik Heaven's Dust in Angel Gold ($19). Now, this, I LOVE! It's a shimmery powder for your body (or I suppose you could probably use it to highlight browbones) and it's gorgeous!! I could see the sparkle before I even opened it up to swatch it and I knew I'd love it. I also swatched this with and without primer, just to see how it might behave as an eyeshadow and I think it would be quite a pretty light gold shadow. I'll definitely use this product!!
Girlactik Heaven's Dust in Angel Gold
Pretty sparkle!
Swatches of the Girlactik Heaven's Dust (starting after the liner swatch) - the first faint one is alone and the second darker gold sheen is over primer.
Blurry shot to show off the sparkle!
My last product this month was a Cailyn Cosmetics Dramatic Impact Mascara in Blue ($17 although the sheet says $15). This is the first colored mascara Wantable has sent to me. To be honest, the last time I used blue mascara was high school, so I'm a little unsure of it. It does seem to be a fairly tame blue as far as blue mascaras go though, so hopefully that plus the promise of "long lush eye lashes with full volume thickness" will make this mascara a good one! I do like the heft of the tube! I kind of wonder about the usefulness of the short bristled brush though. I usually get the best results from nice thick brushes.
Cailyn Cosmetics Dramatic Impact Mascara in blue
November 2013 Wantable
Finally, they've been on sale for I think about a week now, but Wantable is offering special holiday boxes that are set to ship very soon. We got a note about it in our boxes and I checked them out on their site. They seem nice - they all include a small makeup bag, a sleep mask, a Bella Beauty roller eyeshadow set, a set of earrings, a Color Club nail polish, and a 29 Cosmetics Dew Lip Gloss, with 3 set combos to choose from. I was initially going to get one and was torn between the Majestic Masquerade and Starlight Soiree, but in the end, I decided against it. I'd rather save the money for Christmas. But if you like them, go for it!
Note about the holiday boxes
Even considering the fact that this was only (and I only say "only" compared to previous boxes) a 4-item box worth $74 (not including the sample which they valued at 0), I still mostly liked it. The shimmer powder and liner are awesome and will definitely get used and I'll play with the other 2 items. So again, disappointed about the downsized boxes without notice, but still liking the boxes overall enough to stay. And I'd still recommend signing up if you like makeup. If you are interested in signing up for this awesome subscription, here's my link! If you get Wantable, what kind of awesome stuff did you get this month?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment