Friday, December 20, 2013

Birchbox December 2013 Review

Birchbox is one of the lower priced subscriptions where for $10 a month (or less if you subscribe for a year), you get 4-6 sample products (though looking through my history, I have a box of 8 in there!). They're usually of the smaller variety, given that this is only a $10 sub, but there's occasionally a full sized item thrown in too. When you sign up, you fill out a profile (basic stuff - skin type, hair color/type, what basic kinds of products you like, etc) and there are I think 50 possible box combinations each month that you can get, which is, I suppose, somewhat based on your profile. You can also review your items each month, which doesn't have any impact on your future boxes, but does give you points - 10 points per review (100 points = $10) which you can ultimately use in their pretty large shop, which sells full size products. I recently resubscribed for a year with Birchbox after being away from them for about 6 months. The theme for December was "Sparkle and Shine".
Outer box, cute holiday print
Inner box
Info card
Info card side 2
 The first item I took out was the Greenleaf Candle Co. Starlight Votive Candle ($1.92). I can find this scent, but not the candle cube in this scent on their site. <shrug> Anyway, its a small votive candle with a VERY strong scent. It's a mix of fruit, citrus (isn't citrus fruit?), mint and white musk. I hoped I might like it because of the musk, but it's just way too strong a scent and I'm not sure what it is I don't like, but I can't wait to get rid of it. I can smell it through doors it's so strong. Into my trade pile.
Greenleaf Candle Co. Starlight Votive Candle
Next up was a sample tube of Skin & Co Roma Truffle Therapy Serum ($25!). Geez, expensive little sample! It's supposed to hydrate and reduce fine lines. I'll definitely give it a shot, although full size is $75, so I'm kind of hoping I don't love it!
Skin & Co Roma Truffle Therapy Serum
My next item was a sample bottle of N4 High Perfomance Hair Care Non-Aerosol Hair Spray ($4.48). This is supposed to give flexible, strong hold, but I'm not a huge hair spray user, so this won't be used sadly. Into the trade pile.
N4 High Performance Hair Care Non-Aerosol Hair Spray
The next product was a mini Color Club polish in the color Top Shelf ($3.73). It's a pretty, subtle gold, but I think I have something that looks like it, so I'm not sure I'll be keeping it. I haven't swatched it just in case I decide to trade it.
Color Club polish in Top Shelf (isn't that a cute little container behind it too?)
The last big product was a tiny tube of Supersmile Ultimate Lip Balm ($7.26). I'm kind of surprised at how expensive this teeny tube is. It claims to hydrate, exfoliate, nourish, condition, and restore a youthful appearance and has a vanilla almond scent. I like the scent and I like lip balm, so I'm definitely keeping this one!
Supersmile Ultimate Lip Balm
As a little bonus, we also got a promotional Birchbox phone sticky cleaner. It's basically an advertisement for their new phone app, but it's not a bad idea. You can stick the little square onto your phone and when you need it, take it off and use the non-sticky side to clean your phone's screen off! I'm not sure how well it will stick to my phone seeing how my phone is in and out of my pocket all day long, but we'll see.
Birchbox phone sticky cleaner thing
Advertisement side
December 2013 Birchbox
So, this was Birchbox, box version 16. The approximate value is $42.39! Not bad, even if most of the value is from one item. Also, even though a couple of my items are going to the trade pile, I don't really think this is a bad box. The products are a good size and variety. There's just a few things that aren't necessarily for me. I am looking forward to trying the serum and the lip balm, though!

If you get Birchbox, what did you get for December? I know there are quite a lot of variations. If you don't already get Birchbox and are interested in signing up, please use my link! When I logged out, it looked like the normal month to month sign up had a 2 week wait list, which isn't really that bad, but maybe being invited would help skip that wait.


(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself. I was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment