Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Rocks Box November 2013 Set 1 Review

Hoo boy, the holidays are getting a little hectic. I'm a bit behind! So, lets start off with a new box - Rocks Box! When I signed up, there was a deal to get the first month free, so I decided to give it a try. Rocks Box is a jewelry rental subscription - it's kind of like Netflix. For $19 (or less if you go with a longer subscription), you get a box of 3 pieces of jewelry, wear them as long as you'd like, then pack it back up in the included paid envelope, and they send you another when they get it back (as many times as you'd like per month). A twist to this box is that if your really love something you get, you can buy it from them at 20% off retail (you just keep the piece and they charge you for it). When you sign up, you take a quiz to determine your style and the kinds of pieces you want (earrings/necklaces/bracelets/rings) so that the pieces they send you are tailored to that style. When you send a box back, you also fill out some feedback on the pieces you got, which I believe they take into account for your next box.

For my free month, my goal is mostly to get a good idea of the service and what kinds of pieces they offer, so I've only been keeping my pieces for a few days and then sending them all back to get another box quickly. I think I'll probably end up having seen 3 sets total (I was a bit slow on the first box). This review is for the first set I got.
The box
Info sheet (includes prices and a feedback form)
Opening the box
First good peek
Everything inside was individually wrapped in an organza bag to keep things from tangling. My first piece was an Anuja Tolia Sticks Necklace in Silver (you can tell them whether you like silver or gold). This retails for $76 (well, that's what Rocks Box says, the site says $90) and the sale price is $60.80. This was suuuuper heavy when I put it on! I was really torn on whether I liked it or not. Even though I don't typically go for big statement necklaces, I did want to branch out a bit with this sub and I do actually like the idea of it and I think it looks great laid out. On me, I'm not so sure. I have a big chest. I'm just not sure if this big necklace plus my big chest isn't too much together. I rated this a "like" for the general style of it, but I knew I'd definitely be sending it back. I just don't love it $60 worth.
Anuja Tolia Sticks Necklace in Silver
Next up was a Robyn Rhodes Marie Bracelet in Silver (retail $78, sale $62.40). I LOVED this bracelet. Had it not been quite so expensive and had it not been the holidays (budget), I definitely would've picked this up. I love the raw stone in it. So much that I've actually been hunting Etsy for more bracelets like this to possibly pick up after the holidays! The cuff was a tad hard to get on my wrist because it's not terribly flexible, but once on, it fit perfectly. It didn't roll around so that they stone was hidden under my wrist at all. It just sat perfectly on display. Definitely rated "love". I wore this each day I had it. I actually almost regret sending it back, but budgets and all.
Robyn Rhodes Marie Bracelet
My last piece was a set of Sandy Hyun Colorful Dagger Earrings (retail $85, sale $68, retail site not working at time of review to link). This was the only piece I didn't really like. They look cute off me, and I think maybe they're so expensive because they're leather? Maybe? The info on the designer says she uses leather in her designs. Unfortunately, they felt a bit cheap, like something you'd find at Claire's and they hung really weird. They didn't hang down, they hung at an angle pointing a bit behind me. Plus, my hair is very dark, so unless I wore my hair up, you couldn't see these at all on me. I just wasn't really a fan of them, so they were rated "Dislike".
Sandy Hyun Colorful Dagger Earrings
Wearing them. This shot isn't actually so bad because I got them to kind of lay right for the picture and my hair is off to the side.
Wearing all 3 pieces (excuse my unmakeuped face)
So, overall, I think Rocks Box did a pretty great job getting my style. When I first saw them, I definitely thought each piece was really pretty. Not necessarily all things I'd immediately pick for myself, since I made my profile a bit more branched out in terms of boldness, but pieces upon seeing them, do make me think they match my style. Apart from the earrings just not working out on me, I was really happy with the other 2 pieces, especially the bracelet. Given the prices of the pieces sent (and I do understand they're expensive because they're quality pieces), I'm not sure I'll be buying things terribly often with this subscription, but I think I'll definitely have a lot of fun renting them! Another thing I like about Rocks Box is that if you tweet or Instagram a picture of you wearing their pieces, you can earn a $5 credit per set. That will definitely come in handy if I ever really want to buy something!

Unfortunately, the deal I used to get my first month free is expired now, but if you sign up with my link, you'll get $10 off your first month, which at least is about half off! If you get Rocks Box, what kinds of pieces do you get? Anything you've loved and bought?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself (well, this month was free due to a deal open to everyone - it was NOT provided to me in exchange for a review) and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment