Friday, October 11, 2013

Starlooks Starbox September 2013 Review

Just before we left for our trip, one of my makeup sub boxes, the Starlooks Starbox, arrived, as it usually does near the end of the month. For $17.68 per month ($15 for the box, $2.68 for shipping), you get 3-4 full sized items of makeup and usually a smaller bonus item or sample. I love that we get full size items from Starlooks and there's usually at least one item I really like in each box. Sometimes the whole box is awesome. September's theme was "Behind the Scenes".
Unopened box
I thought this was a cute touch - an actual wax seal!
 As it turns out, our monthly bonus item was what was in this envelope. A month free (5 requests) at Ooberluxe. I have to be honest. I'm not at all interested in trying this. It sounds to me like paying someone else to google stuff for you. I'm lazy, but not lazy enough to pay for that. So much for the cute presentation of the bonus.
Info card
Opening the box
The first makeup product we got for September was a really nice, neutral lip gloss in Pearl Necklace ($12). I'm glad it's neutral because that means it's something I'll use! It just adds a subtle shine and shimmer to my lips, so I like it!
Starlooks Lip Gloss in Pearl Necklace
Next was an eye product, their Infinity Eye Liner in Milky Way ($13). There are a lot of colors I would have preferred to this shimmery white, but I suppose this gets me to go outside my comfort zone a bit and play to find a way to make it work. I see it being an accent or highlighting color I don't use a whole lot of. I do like the info note's idea of using it as a shadow base to give your shadow a pearlescent effect and the idea of using it to make your own eyeliner by mixing it with a loose powder pigment.
Infinity Eye Liner in Milky Way
The last item was a set of false lashes in model FL13, which doesn't appear to be on the site, but they're all the same price ($13). Starlooks says they can be used up to 10 times, so I'm happy they're not a one time use thing, since that would be a little disappointing unless it were the bonus item. I can't tell if it's on purpose, but my pair seems a little uneven. It makes sense that they'd both taper on one side, at the inner eye, but the one seems to almost taper at both ends while the other gets steadily longer the whole length. I may need to do some trimming or playing. Maybe I just need to try them on and see if it's even noticeable. I don't use false lashes often, but I certainly don't mind having another pair because when I do use them, I feel amazing.
Starlooks FL13 Lashes
Swatches of the gloss and eye liner
September 2013 Starlooks Starbox
While this box was a little less wow for me than others, I still really like the gloss and I'm going to play with the liner and lashes, so it's definitely not a total loss. It's just undetermined at this point. Overall, it had a value of $38 (not counting the bonus), which is good. I peeked at the look book for October and if it includes what I think it will based on the makeup the girl is wearing, I think I'll really like it! I'm guessing a small eye palette (to create the silver and brownish eye look they demonstrate in the picture), maybe an eyeliner (though we did just have one a couple months ago), a pink lip gloss, and maybe a blush. They only had separate focused shots of her eyes and lips, so I'm not sure about the blush.
Starlooks Look Book picture for October



They've also got a brand new referral system going on where each referral earns the referrer a somewhat personalized (the referrer gets to choose eye vs lip vs mix and bold vs neutral vs mix) gift box (up to 3 per month!)! That's a pretty awesome referral bonus! So, if you're thinking about joining, I'd love it if you'd use my link please! :D If you already get the Starbox, what did you think of September? How are you using the eye liner?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. The final link is a referral link, but I also included a non-referral link at the top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment