Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Square Hue October 2013 Review

Onto October! One of my first October boxes to arrive was Square Hue. When I signed up, they had a deal where your first month was $14.99, but the normal monthly price is $19.99 ($14.99 plus shipping). Each month, you get 3 pre-selected colors - no choosing like Julep, and no bonus beauty products like pretty much all the other polish subs. But they treat that as a positive - they think we don't really use/want the unknown bonuses, so for them, the polish is the focus. I personally don't dislike bonuses, but that's ok.

I like Square Hue because you have the option to pause your subscription if the hint doesn't look terribly appealing to you (or whatever other reason). I skipped September's Serengeti collection because it looked a bit bland, and I'm glad. It included a light, almost neon pea green, chocolate brown, and a shimmery goldish green. The goldish green was actually quite pretty, but I didn't like the other 2 colors. October's hint for the Moto collection was a leather clad biker with an orangey helmet, so I was expecting a darker box with possibly a hint of Halloween. I like dark, so I went for it.
Square Hue hint for October
Opening the box
I still love this presentation. So simple, but attractive! Little square bottles, all in a row.
Better view of the colors
The colors fit in pretty well with what I expected. We got Iron Horse, a black glossy cream, Desert Grit, a sandy textured orange, and Oil Slick, a gray/purple/green duochrome. I recently bought a drugstore black polish, since I noticed I didn't have any, but it's nice to have a higher quality one. The orange is defintely different from anything I own with it's cool texture, so that's a welcome addition to my collection. Oil Slick...well, at first, I was in love with it. I love that it changes colors at different angles. Then I noticed I have 2 other polishes that are pretty much EXACT dupes (Essie For the Twill of It and Julep's Blakely).
Swatches of October's Square Hue colors
Slightly different angle of Oil Slick, showing more green
Comparison of Julep, Essie, and Square Hue (green angle)
Comparison of Julep, Essie, and Square Hue (purple angle) (please excuse the mess)
I couldn't see a difference at all. Had I removed the labels, I wouldn't have known which was which. I don't even remember a difference in application (thick vs thin, brush lines, etc). Oh well. Not sure I need 3, but it is a pretty color.

November's collection is called the Coastal collection. Seems an odd theme for a fall month, but the initial picture had a really pretty turquoise that I'm really hoping is featured. Oddly, there's a new picture on the site now that doesn't include it, so I'm a bit concerned. The new picture is very bland (and honestly reminds me a bit too much of the Serengeti collection from September - surely they wouldn't send similar colors so soon? Then again, I did get an orange in August and October.). I guess we'll see what it includes next month.
Old picture - I love the turquoise doors!
New picture - where'd the turquoise go?? I don't want beige, light green and light blue! Especially not in November!
Did you get October's box? How do you like the colors? Anything you wish it had included? If you want to sign up, go to the Square Hue website!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)









2 comments: