Monday, October 21, 2013

Lip Factory October 2013 Review

Before their "all about lips" month next month, I got one more regular Lip Factory. Lip Factory is a makeup subscription box. For $22 a month, you get 5-6 (I'm guessing based on my past 2 months) full size products. Obviously they're called Lip Factory, so you will get at least 1-2 lip products, but again, based on the reviews I've seen and my experience so far, it looks like they often have other stuff mixed in. And as I mentioned just a second ago, they do have an occasional month of all lip products.
Opening the box
Info card
 This month's box had 5 full size products and 2 single use or sample products. My first sample product was an individually packaged Alcone Make-Off makeup removing cloth (~$0.50). Their site seems to be out of stock of the individually packaged ones, but a little research found that at one time, you could get 12 for $6. They seem to be rated fairly well, so I'll stick this in my travel bag. Although it creates more trash, I kind of like that it's individually packaged. The pop up ones can tend to get a little dried out.
Alcone Make-off wipe
The second small product was a single use packet of Befine Warming Clay Mask ($2.50). This is supposed to soothe and nourish your skin. I've always liked warming masks, so I'll happily try this out. I also like that it's paraben free.
Befine Warming Clay Mask
My first lip product was a 29 Cosmetics Dew Lip Lip Gloss in Hang Time ($24). The grape seed extract in this is also supposed to be nourishing and protecting to make lips look smoother and younger. I usually don't expect to like most lip products, but being that it was a gloss and it looked like a good color, I was hopeful. And it's great! I really like it and will add it to my rotation! It's actually a very nice sheer darker pink (they call it "shimmery sheer berry"), so it's not terribly bold. Which I like. I've heard good things about 29 Cosmetics, particularly about their mascara. I think Lip Factory sent one in a box a few months before I signed up, so I don't think I can expect another one anytime soon, but maybe in Wantable? Or maybe I'll just buy it.
29 Cosmetics Dew Gloss in Hang Time
Another gloss, we also got a Michael Marcus Lip Gloss in Romance ($22). Although this looked lighter in the tube than the 29 Cosmetics one, this was actually darker, which the info sheet mentions - they apparently use more pigment to make it last longer, "like a poured lipstick". I was hopeful again about the color, and it's not bad, but not quite as lovely as the 29 Cosmetics one. It'll go in my backup makeup drawer.
Michael Marcus Lip Gloss in Romance
The final lip product of the month was a J. Cat Roll it Up Lip Pencil in Amaranth Pink/102 ($2.49). Sadly, I'm not a fan of this at all. I don't use lip liner and the color is Barbie pink. Into the lip graveyard box. Oh well. At least it's a cheapie that I don't like.
J. Cat Roll it Up Lip Pencil in Amaranth Pink/102
Swatches of the lip products. L to R: 29 Cosmetics gloss, J. Cat lip liner, and Michael Marcus gloss.
There were 2 non-lip full size products this month. The first was a Palladio Baked Blush in Rosey ($7). It's a little light, but not a bad color. I think it'll work. The info card says it can be used dry or wet, but I'm not sure how one would do a wet blush. That seems like it would end up looking a bit clownish. <shrug>
Palladio Baked Blush in Rosey
Finally, we also got a Michael Marcus Cake Eyeliner in Trashy ($20). I'm not sure exactly what makes this an eyeliner over an eyeshadow. It's dry and applies like an eyeshadow, so I'm assuming you'd need water or that cool liner transform product I got in this month's Wantable to turn this into an eyeliner. Why not also include a liner brush or something? Especially when the info note says "dip the eyeliner brush in water". What eyeliner brush? One they assume we have? The missing included one (it doesn't appear anyone got one)? Heck, Coastal Scents makes one for $1.95! That would've been easy to include. Basically, I see this as a shadow that maybe I'll try as a liner one day. As a shadow, I rather like it! It's kind of a graphite color, silvery dark gray. When I swatched it on my hand, it reminded me a bit of that smudge you get on your hand when drawing with a pencil. But, I like it! This is also another one of those refillable cases, like the one I got in this month's Wantable. I sure am stocking up on the Michael Marcus lately through these boxes.
Michael Marcus Cake Eyeliner in Trashy
Swatches of the non-lip products. L to R: Michael Marcus shadow/liner/thingy and Palladio blush
Lip Factory October 2013
Before I opened this box, I was thinking it would be my final Lip Factory. Next month is the "all about lips" box and I wasn't really planning on resubbing afterwards. Now, I'm not so sure. There was only 1 product I didn't like at all in this box. The rest was pretty nice! And the value was $78.49! I'll have to think about it. I'm not sure I NEED more makeup, but it's so much fun to play with. :)

Did you get Lip Factory this month? How were your colors? If you'd like to sign up, go to their website! If you don't mind using it, my referral number is 385045 - apparently, you can enter it in a special referral spot in your beauty profile after you sign up.

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included a referral number, but no referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment