Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Square Hue November 2013 Review

So, last month, I was a bit unsure of what this month's Square Hue would bring after they changed the preview picture on their website. Oddly, my post no longer shows the updated picture, so they must've removed it from their page at some point. Anyway, the updated picture removed the only color that initially interested me for the month, so I was a bit bummed. The box arrived and I think it actually mostly followed the first picture, so it wasn't such a let down, but I'm still unsure about how I feel about the colors.
Opening the box
After removing the info card (which shows the colors also), I got my first real look at the colors for November. I still don't really think they're very fall colors - more like end of summer, honestly. They're coastal colors. Anyway, we got 3 cremes this month, no special finishes or sparkles here. We got Portsmouth, a darkish gray-blue, which surprisingly, I don't have anything like, Chatham, a medium milk chocolately brown, that I also don't have anything even close to, and Nantucket, a dark teal (a little smokey), which sadly is pretty close to Julep's Lena (without the slight shimmer) and Libby, although it may be like half a shade greener. Funny enough, the teal color was what I was initially looking forward to in the picture. I just expected it to be much brighter. These are very subdued colors.
After removing the packing squiggles and info card
Better look at the colors
Square Hue Portsmouth, Chatham (the stick is cracked, there's nothing wrong with the polish), and Nantucket
Julep Libby, Square Hue Nantucket, and Julep Lena comparison
I like Square Hue's formula with 2 coats and I'm glad Portsmouth and Chatham are new to me, but I'm let down by Nantucket, both because it's a dupe and because it's not as bright as I'd hoped based on the hint picture. I mean, looking at the 3 of them, I guess I can see how they'd be fall colors, but the blues are kind of similar and I really just would have preferred to lose the 2 blues and add in 2 better fall colors, like a shimmery red or purple or something. Anyway, although I like Square Hue, I'm taking a few months off of them as well due to the holiday budget, so we'll see if I want to add it back in early next year. My biggest issue is the unknown. I know most sub boxes are just that - you don't know what you'll get, but with polish, I just have so much that I prefer a sub like Julep that lets you choose so you know you're not getting dupes.

That being said, next month's hint does look intriguing. There are quite a few colors mixed in that picture, including purple! It's hard to predict what it'll include! Maybe white, purple, and yellow? Maybe something multichromatic or holographic? Maybe something sparkly? Plus, there's a big promo page saying "Your color world is about to get rocked! The journey begins 12:13." That makes it sound like they're making a big change! I almost caved and got it anyway, but I have to stay strong! If you want to sign up, go to the Square Hue website!
http://www.squarehue.com/wp-content/uploads/SquareHue_NewYork1213_Banner3.jpg
The Passport Collection for December

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)


No comments:

Post a Comment