Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Stork Stack November 2013 Review

We're on the second box of Emily's last 3 Stork Stack boxes - it goes up to age 3 and she turns 3 in December. Stork Stack is a subscription for kids ages 0 -3. For $27.99, you get 4 age-appropriate items for your child and one item for mom or dad. It's nice that they add in an item for parents, but I have my own subscriptions, so I'd kind of rather they make it 5 things for kids. November's theme was "Lunch Box Stack". As usual, Emily was excited to see a box for her.
Opening the box
First peek

Stork Stack has done away with paper information cards, but send out a PDF version with the tracking email. I don't really mind the change, although I'm not really sure how to display it here since I can't really copy and paste the image or find an image url. But I'm showing what we get anyway, so I guess I don't really need to post it.

The first thing Emily pulled out was the Surf Sweets gummy snacks ($0.73 for both based on Amazon's price). We got 2 small bags (.5 oz vs the 2.75 oz bags that I find for sale online) - Fruity Bears which have 6 flavors (cherry, grapefruit, grape, lemon, orange, and strawberry) and Fruity Hearts which have 2 flavors (watermelon and cherry). She only recently started liking fruit snacks and these are coated in sugar, so I thought she'd acutally like these, but apparently not. Oh well. More for me! I think they're pretty good! I did prefer the Fruity Bears to the Fruity Hearts though. More flavors.
I think she thought they looked good at first.
Surf Sweets (ok, this picture might have been taken after they were eaten)
Next up was a Spuds Open Plate in orange ($9.99 on Amazon. Their site doesn't seem to work at all at the time I'm writing this.). Orange is probably the ugliest color we could have gotten, but it's a plate. It works. I'm a tad concerned she may grow out of this pretty quickly since it's so small. It's top rack dishwasher safe (I usually just hand wash those things), but not microwave safe. For whatever reason, I almost expected it to have a scent, given that it's made from reclaimed potatoes. Obviously, it didn't smell. This product was fine and it's nice that it's recycled material, but really, it's just not exciting at all. I would've much rather gotten a Skip Hop plate, which, while it doesn't necessarily solve the size issue, Emily does still like the animals on their plates and cups (and backpacks and roller bags - she has the puppy roller bag for plane trips and it's adorable to see her pull it through the airport!).
It's a plate.
Spuds Open Plate
The next item, one that Emily was definitely excited to see, was Dinosaur Diner by Annie Kubler ($9.89 on Amazon). I love seeing books in her boxes. She loves reading and I love to encourage that. This was a cute book about a dinosaur that eats too much junk food and has no energy, but learns to eat well and exercise to feel better. I  had to explain it to her a bit since the story was cute, but a bit over her head. She liked that it had a puppet in it, although it was a bit hard to use. Your thumb and forefinger don't fit in well enough to open the mouth well, so you have you use your forefinger and middle finger, which is just awkward. But it is cute, so this one's a win.
Ooh, a book!
Dinosaur Diner by Annie Kubler
The last item was a Stephen Joseph Classic Lunchbox ($15.99). We got the owl pattern. It's cute, but it's a lunchbox. Emily doesn't use lunchboxes yet. She does go to preschool 3x a week, but they give her lunch at school as part of the tuition. This really isn't useful for us yet. I'm kind of disappointed to see this at all in a box that serves ages 0-3. Who in that age group really needs a lunch box? There are tons of cute things from Stephen Joseph that I can see on their site - in particular the art totes, the reusable snack bags, and the bottle buddies all look so cute! I don't know. I mean, it's already open because Emily wanted to play with it, but otherwise, it would've gone straight to the trade pile. We just don't need it.
Stephen Joseph Classic Lunchbox
She wanted to put the Surf Sweets into it.
Holding her bag
And finally, the parent gift this week was a sample packet of EBOOST ($1.40). This is a mix for drinks that contains a slew of vitamins and stuff to give you natural energy according to their website. I may try this at some point, but since we're hoping for number 2, I'm just not going to risk drinking anything I'm not sure of right now and I couldn't find if it was safe to drink while trying to conceive. I've cut a lot of stuff out of my diet. I haven't really heard anything about these, so I'm not sure how well they work or how good they taste. Orange probably wouldn't be my first choice in flavors, but oh well.
EBOOST (is it all caps? Eboost? EBoost? eBoost? eboosT?) sample
November 2013 Stork Stack
So, I guess I can kind of see how this box is relevant to November - school is back in session and it's almost Thanksgiving, so there's a focus on food and food related products. These all at least somewhat fit that theme. It's also worth $38, so over the price of the box. In the end though, the only item in this box Emily (or I, honestly) was excited about was the book. That's what I want to see in these boxes! This is for Emily. I want her to be excited to open it, not look in and be like "hmm, well, there's a book I really like and a bunch of other stuff I don't care about". I get the introduction to new brands, and I'm glad I learned about Stephen Joseph here. I just wish they had sent something else from that brand. Something more age appropriate. Plus, that Spuds plate is just...eh. It's an ugly color and it's small. I guess I'm just a bit bummed that of her last 3 months in this sub, 2 so far have been a bit underwhelming. Well, hopefully their December box will be fun for the holidays and filled with gift-worthy items!

If you'd like to sign up, please use my referral code: C641FAA7 at the Stork Stack website. We'll both earn $10 Stork bills, which can be applied to the next month's box! If you already get Stork Stack, what did you get? I'd love to hear what different age groups got!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I included a referral code, but no referral link.)

No comments:

Post a Comment