Saturday, November 2, 2013

Starlooks October 2013 Review

It's near the end of the month (ok, it was when I started this post!), and as always, my Starlooks Starbox, arrived! For $17.68 per month ($15 for the box, $2.68 for shipping), you get 3-4 full sized items of makeup and usually a smaller bonus item or sample. I love that we get full size items from Starlooks and there's usually at least one item I really like in each box. Sometimes the whole box is awesome. September's theme was "Alice", I guess in Wonderland?
Back to the usual box
Info card
The bonus this month was a $50 discount for Rivet & Sway, an online eyeglasses service - basically they send you 3 frames to try on, you pick one, send them all back and they put your prescription into the one you chose. I know I've gotten an offer like this once before from a sub box, but I can't remember which one. Anyway, I do wear contacts and I do need a new pair of glasses (for nighttime and days I don't go out) and they seem like nice glasses, but I really need to sit in a physical place and try on loads of pairs. Not 3. And I intend to use my insurance to get at least a discount of some sort, which I'm not sure is taken with this site. So, here's the offer if you want the code. I don't think it's unique, so should be useable for more than one person. Honestly, I don't really like these discount "bonuses". You have to pay something to use them. That's not a bonus. I'd rather get a sample of something by Starlooks that's unreleased or something like that.
Rivet & Sway offer

The first product we got this month was a Gem Eye Pencil (used to be called Diamondline Eye Pencil, not sure why the name change) in Mirage ($14). At first when I saw this, I thought it was a color I already had so I was a little bummed, but when I went to go look at the one I had, I realized I have Deja Vu, a light silver, whereas this is Mirage, a darker bluish gray. So, yay! Now I have 5 of these and I love them all!
Starlooks Gem Eye Pencil in Mirage
Next up was a lipstick, or so I thought. It's actually a Tendergloss in the color Puzzy ($13). Because I thought it was a lipstick, I was initially a little bummed again (I should've learned from the first time not to judge right away!), but then I saw that the color looked pretty tame. And then I swatched it and realized it's sheer and sparkly and wonderful!! Tenderglosses are described as a combination of lipstick (pigment of a sheer lipstick) and lipgloss (moisturizing and shiny). I really love this! I'm tempted to try another, but looking at the shades, with no swatches (bah!), I wonder if I got the best shade already, so I may just wait and see if they ever send out another. Thinking about it now, I think I may actually have one other shade from a previous month this year that I didn't like. I think it was a frosty bronze one.
Starlooks Tendergloss in Puzzy
Our final product this month was a really nice 3 Shade Blush Palette in 3B1 ($46!). It looks like they make these in 7 varieties based on skin tone, so I wonder if they were customized to our skin tone or if everyone got 3B1. Luckily, 3B1 is perfect for me. I love the colors - a nice pink pink, a peachier pink, and a darker mauvey pink. They're very pigmented, which is great since you don't have to use a lot, but it does mean you have to go easy with the brush. I also like that they're not shiny. I know some are to give a "dewy" or "glowing" look, but on me, I feel like it just looks shiny, so I'm happy these aren't.
Starlooks 3 Shade Blush Palette
Closeup
Swatches L to R: Tendergloss (it's sheer so a bit hard to see - it's the shiny bit on the left), Blush Palette (in same order as the palette pictured above)
Swatches of all the Gem Eye Pencils I have - the bottom is Mirage, the one included in this box. The rest, bottom to top after Mirage: Deja Vu, Myth, Fancy, and Roseate.
October 2013 Starlooks Starbox
I'm really happy with this box! A new Gem Eye Pencil for my lovely growing collection, an awesome new lip product that I actually like, and some great new blushes to try! What's not to like there? And a $73 value that I only paid $17.68 for! I wonder if I stick around with them long enough if I'll basically get the whole collection? I don't see myself cancelling anytime soon, so for now, I keep collecting! AND! With this box came 2 exciting other notes:
Coupon!

This is the first note! 50% off is a big deal! I don't think this is a unique code and I'm pretty sure you can use it without being a subscriber, so go for it! I just don't think it works for new subscriptions. I have to admit I've already used it to order the remaining 3 Gem Eye Pencils I didn't have and a few Kohl Eye Pencils! 50% off is awesome! I also have to say, I contacted them to ask about some of the Kohl Eye Pencil colors, since the colors really aren't clear on the website, and they got back to me within a few hours with swatches of just the ones I asked for (6 colors), in the order I asked for - they had gotten some out and swatched them out just for me! Awesome customer service! I do kind of wish they'd just put the swatches on the site, but it's nice that they're quick to help. And they have been every time I've contacted them.

Super December hint!!
This is the second note! Last December, I actually signed up because of a similar hint. We got an amazing $99 palette just like this is talking about. And I emailed them to ask about it and they confirmed it will be one of the ones on their site and it WILL NOT be the same as last year's selection (I didn't want 2 of the same one after all!). I think we got the Birthday Party palette (the second picture) last year. December was an awesome box last year and it will be again this year! So if you're interested at all in this sub, really, now's the time to sign up! You can do a gift sub like the note talks about if you just want December (I think - I don't see anything about it renewing, but I'm not 100% sure. That's just how most gift subs work.), or you can sign up for their regular sub. If you sign up for the regular sub before Nov 10, you'll get November first (no hints up yet), or after the 10th, you'll get December first.


 (And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. The final link is a referral link, but I also included a non-referral link at the top.)


No comments:

Post a Comment