Thursday, September 19, 2013

Lip Factory September 2013 Review

So, I decided I'd just go ahead and get 3 months of Lip Factory - basically until their next "all about lips" month, which I think is November, since I don't really want that. Lip Factory is a makeup subscription box. For $22 a month, you get 5-6 (I'm guessing based on my past 2 months) full size products. Obviously they're called Lip Factory, so you will get at least 1-2 lip products, but again, based on the reviews I've seen and my experience so far, it looks like they often have other stuff mixed in. And as I mentioned just a second ago, they do have an occasional month of all lip products.
Opening the box
Info page 1
Info page 2
So, first off, the lip products, since this is Lip Factory, after all. Last month, I came into this not really expecting much from the lip stuff, since that just isn't my thing, and as expected, I got some pretty bold lip colors I wasn't into. So, again, I wasn't expecting much. Until I saw a review on a blog I read regularly, Ramblings of a Suburban Mom, that showed some pretty subdued lip products this month! I was so hopeful they'd be in my box too! And they were! Yippee!

The first was a ModelCo Shine Ultra Lip Gloss in Strip Tease ($16). Oddly, their site doesn't have my color. I wonder if it's last season's? I did see it sold on Amazon for $22, but it looked like just one. <shrug> Anyway, it's a great lip gloss for me! It's really neutral and just adds a bit of shine to my lips. It's a tad on the sticky side, but I'm not sure I've ever used a lip gloss that wasn't at least a little sticky. I do really like that the tube has a mirror on it - helpful if you're not near a mirror and need a touch up!
ModelCo Shine Ultra Lip Gloss in Strip Tease
The second was a Be A Bombshell Lip Gloss in Nude Beach ($14). Although I was hopeful about this one because it's also neutral and looked pretty on my hand, it was a bit dark and a bit too frosty on my lips for my liking. Also a tad sticky, but again, I think all glossy are kind of sticky. But, that's ok! I'm happy to have gotten one lip product I like - I'm hard to please, so that's great!
Be A Bombshell Lip Gloss in Nude Beach
Next up, was a black J. Cat The Big Eye Pencil ($3.49). I'm happy to see that Lip Factory is honest about the prices - I've seen a company or 2 mark these kinds of things up a bit and when I go hunting, I have no idea where they got the price. Anyway, although I really like eye products, I wasn't wild about this one. I'm not sure it could be used as an eyeliner as the description suggests unless you somehow manage to sharpen it into a thinner point. And as a shadow, it's just so greasy looking when applied. It's pretty yucky, honestly. Oh well. Can't win them all. The bonus sharpener seems nice though!
J. Cat The Big Eye Pencil
We also got a felt-tip liquid liner - Be A Bombshell Eyeliner in Amethyst ($14). While I was excited for a purple liquid liner, this seemed a bit dry. That was surprising since I have this exact liner in Onyx from another sub and actually really like it. Maybe I got a bad one or an old one? Either way, that's a little bit of a bummer, but maybe I just need to use it a bit - it was sitting out in my hot mailbox for a few hours before I tried it. The color is very subdued for a purple, which I think is actually pretty nice. Just a hint of purple - definitely usable anytime.
Be A Bombshell Eye Liner in Amethyst
The last 2 products were face care products. The first one was A! Absolute Oil Blotting Tissues, I think by Nicka K ($2.99). I've had hit and miss results with oil blotting tissues. I find that some work and some don't really do anything for me. I haven't tried these yet, so we'll see.
A! Absolute Oil Blotting Tissues
Last up, a brand I'm all too familiar with thanks to Beauty Box 5, were 2 wipes from La Fresh ($0.82 - ok, they rounded up here, but only a little). I'm not sure if everyone got the same ones, but I got an Instant Body Smoother (my wipe definitely says "smoother", not "soother" like the website ones...) and a Waterproof Makeup Remover. I'm sure these are fine. They just feel kind of like box filler to me.
La Fresh wipes
Swatches: J. Cat Pencil (this picture doesn't quite capture the shininess of the black), Be a Bombshell eyeliner, Be a Bombshell lip gloss, and ModelCo lip gloss
September 2013 Lip Factory box
So, overall, an ok box. I was definitely pleasantly surprised with the ModelCo lip gloss and hopefully, I'll be able to get the Be a Bombshell liner to work a bit better because I think I'd really like that, too. As much as I complain about La Fresh, they're good for travel, so although I'd much prefer something else in my box, I will use them. And of course, I could always use another sharpener - I can stick this one in my travel bag. The biggest loss to me in this box was the J. Cat liner/shadow thingy. Ick, why is it so greasy??

Did you get Lip Factory this month? How were your colors? If you'd like to sign up, go to their website! If you don't mind using it, my referral number is 385045 - apparently, you can enter it in a special referral spot in your beauty profile after you sign up.

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included a referral number, but no referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment