Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Jungle Stand August 2013 Review

Ack, I just found pictures for last month's Jungle Stand that I forgot to review! Whoops!

For $9.92/month, you get 6 "tastes" (smallish samples) of snacks - usually food that you might not normally come across or buy regularly. Following 2 months of snacks from around the world, August's theme was "A Taste of Italy"!
Opening the box
Info card listing all the tastes
The tastes!
Ok, so I had a lot of fun tasting everything last month with Chris and it was nice to have an extra set of opinions to report, but this month, Chris was never feeling it when I asked if he wanted to try this month's box (he's not a big snacker), so after asking him 4 times, I decided to just try them on my own. This month we had:
  • Sfogliatine - Very light puff pastry with a thin sweet outer glaze. The description talks about the sheets of puff pastry dough, and I knew it reminded me of filo, coming from a Greek family. I liked this one. Light but yummy.
  • Krumiri - Dense, lightly sweet cookies. The description mentions hazelnuts, but I didn't really taste that. They were pretty good, but I imagine they'd be better dunked in something as the description suggests. I don't know why I didn't try that. 
  • Amaretti - Oh my gosh. Yum. These were my favorite taste in the box. I LOVE almond cookies, like the Greek amygdalota. I just love the taste and smell of almond extract. I even have a roller ball perfume of almond extract scent! I think I like amygdalota a bit better because they're a bit denser and chewier, but these amaretti were delicious! A bit airy but wow, the flavor packs a punch. 
  • Cantuccini - I didn't expect to like these much, since they looked a bit like biscotti, a little dry. They are dense and do remind me of biscotti, but the flavor from the raisins is great!
  • Biscuit with Mediterranean Herbs - I think this was probably my least favorite of the box, but even as my least favorite, I still liked it. With all the other sweet flavors so far, this was a good change. Unfortunately, it was a little bland for my tastes.
  • Srack Griss - Wow, these had a very strong taste! Coming from the bland biscuits, I wasn't expecting that. I wasn't sure if I liked it at first, but after another, I decided I really did. This ended up being my second favorite taste in the box. Like the description says, it was very tomatoey tasting. 
I think this was my favorite box so far! I liked everything in the box (the biscuit was a little bland, but still pretty good). I told Chris he missed out! Hopefully, he'll be up to try the next one which I think may be shipping in the next week or so.

If you want to sign up, go to The Jungle Stand’s website! If you already get Jungle Stand, what did you think of this month’s tastes?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)


No comments:

Post a Comment