Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lip Factory August 2013 Review

Ok, I know what you're thinking. "Melissa, you beat us over the head every other review about how much you hate lipstick. Why the heck did you sign up for something called "LIP Factory"??" Well, I've been watching reviews and seeing an awful lot of non-lip stuff in this box, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it. So I did.

Lip Factory is a makeup subscription box. For $22 a month, you get 5-6 (I'm guessing based on this month) full size products. Obviously they're called Lip Factory, so you will get at least 1-2 lip products, but again, based on the reviews I've seen, it looks like they often have other stuff mixed in. It also appears that every few months they do an "All About Lips" box - I've heard the next one is November (I'll be canceling before then!).

Outer box
Inner box - I'm not sure if that's what it always looks like or if this a monthly theme.
Opening the box
Info card
 Ok, so in my box, I got:
  •  Sweetpea & Fay Lip Joule ($7.99) - Mine is "Merry Widow". Wow. This is certainly a bold color. Kind of a hot magenta, I guess. It actually looks tamer in the tube than on. Well, I knew I'd get lip color here. Moving on.
Sweetpea & Fay Lip Joule in Merry Widow
  •  Colour U Matte Lipstick ($15) - Mine is Matte Cinnamon. I was hopeful when I opened it that it might work for me if it was a sheerer lipstick. Definitely more usable than the Sweetpea & Fay, but still too dark for me. And a bit too orange.
Colour U Matte Lipstick in Matte Cinnamon
  • NYX Wonder Pencil ($4.50) - Thankfully, I got this in light. There was a brief beauty quiz when I signed up where I included that information. This can be used as a concealer pencil, a lip liner, and a waterline liner. I think it's safe to say I won't be using it as a lipliner, but it looks great for the other 2 uses! I'm happy with this.
NYX Wonder Pencil
  •  Red Cherry Natural Lashes ($2.50) - I got #47, which is classified as "moderate to full volume" and "moderate to full length". I love making my lashes look as long as possible, but don't often use false eyelashes unless it's a special event or something. These look like fun though! I like the length and it's nice that they're 100% human hair. Although I've worn false lashes in weddings several times, I think I've only bought false lashes in a store once (for Halloween - so probably not the best quality). I don't remember the price of those, but I was surprised that these were so cheap. 
Red Cherry Lashes
  •  MeMeMe Cosmetics Shimmer Stack ($15.61) - I got gold. This is a combination item that can be used as highlighter, bronzer, or eyeshadow. The colors are really pretty, but I'll have to play with this. I don't typically like much shine on my cheeks, so this may end up being used solely for my eyes. 
MeMeMe Cosmetics Shimmer Stack
  •  White Towel Makeup Remover ($4.99) - I thought this was an extra at first and was a bit surprised at the price when I looked it up. This is a single use cotton towel infused with makeup remover. I'm baffled by this. This is such a weird item. It looks like they're available for private branding I guess to give out at special events or something for advertising. It just seems kind of wasteful to me. It's a one time use cotton towel. I mean, can I wash it and use it as a regular (probably thin) towel or do I have to throw it out after I use it?
White Towel Makeup Remover
 And some swatches:
Swatches of NYX Wonder Pencil, Sweetpea & Fay Lip Joule, and Colour U Cosmetics Matte Lipstick
Sort of swatch of the MeMeMe Cosmetics Shimmer Stack (it just wasn't photographing on my hand at all)
August 2013 Lip Factory
Well, I'm kind of in the middle on this box. I really liked the Wonder Pencil and the lashes, liked the Shimmer Stack, and was neutral to dislike on the makeup remover and lip colors. I didn't expect to like the lip colors - it would have been a bonus if I did - so I can't really hold that against them (especially since they ARE called Lip Factory). And it was only 2 of the 6 products, so I think I definitely got a good mix here. And it did have a value of $50.59, which is great for a $22 box, even if I didn't like 2 things in it ($27.60 without those 2). Since I'm finding it hard to judge them based on one box and I was intrigued by items I saw in previous reviews, I'm going to give them another month to see what variety of items I get next month. No matter what, I'll be canceling before the All About Lips box (maybe I'll resub after, but I'm not sure), but next month will determine if I get October or not.

Did you get Lip Factory this month? How were your colors? If you'd like to sign up, go to their website! If you don't mind using it, my referral number is 385045 - apparently, you can enter it in a special referral spot in your beauty profile after you sign up.

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included a referral number, but no referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment