Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Glossybox August 2013 Review

Another month, another Glossybox! For $21/month, you get 5 deluxe-sized beauty samples. Occasionally, you get full sized items. It's a great sub because you get to try some higher-end brands. August's theme was "Bohemian Summer", I guess the last of their summer themes. I usually start with my "opening the box" picture, but this was sitting on top of the box, so I figured I'd show this first: a coupon for Guess and a jean makeup bag. This seemed odd since I've never seen them just put random coupons and items outside of the inner box.

Guess coupon and makeup bag
Opening the box
Info card
 The first product I pulled out was a full size Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush (~$18.77). I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure what color I got. It's not written on the tube or the card and when I go to the link, I think it's probably Marshmallow Pink, but it kind of looks a bit darker. But not as dark as Cranberry. <shrug> Anyway, I didn't swatch this because honestly, I'm not sure I want to open it. I want to try it because, like the Starbox showed me, sometimes I can be surprised by a lipstick, but I'm fairly certain it won't work out and I'd almost rather leave it sealed to give it away. I don't know.
Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush
Next up was a ModelCo eyeshadow duo in Bronzed Goddess ($25). Funny enough, this doesn't appear to be available own it's on on the ModelCo website. Just in the All About Eyes Bronzed Goddess set, which comes with a liner and a mascara. I think I've even gotten those other 2 items from Glossybox. I wonder if they just got a bunch of those sets and sent out the parts individually. I think I even remember a Glossybox sign on deal that included this exact product as the bonus. Anyway, sadly, mine arrived somewhat damaged. It looked like it had been dropped, but thankfully, the pigments are actually very soft so I was able to pack the damaged one back into the pan and press it down to mostly fix it. Hopefully it will hold up to further crumbling. The colors are highly pigmented and actually very pretty, so assuming it holds up ok, I'm happy with it.
ModelCo Eyeshadow Duo in Bronzed Goddess
A bit messy, but this is midway through tidying the beigey-gold color
Swatch of the ModelCo Eyeshadow duo
My next product was a full size Anatomicals Spray Misty For Me Facial Spritz (~$9.30). It's supposed to rehydrate and refresh your skin. I tried it, but I'm not sure I noticed much of any effect other than feeling like I just sprayed my face with water. It does smell pretty nice, though.
Anatomicals Spray Misty For Me Facial Spritz
Next, was a nice size tub of Novex Brazilian Keratin Hair Care Treatment Cream. Glossybox calls this full size at 3.5 oz ($4.99), but the only tub I can find available for purchase is a 35.3 oz tub ($19.39), so I'm valuing this at $1.93. It's still a nice size, though! Perhaps a little industrial looking in the packaging - I kind of feel like I'd find this at Lowe's in the paint section - but it gets ok reviews, so I'll definitely try it.
Novex Brazilian Keratin Hair Care Treatment Cream
My last product was a full size Sue Devitt Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder ($28). I got the color Quiet and Still, for the palest people. I was thrilled that for once I got a color other than bronze or dark. Alas, it still didn't match. Surprisingly enough, this one is actually too light (it appears almost white). Apart from the color mismatch, it seems like a nice powder, but the sponge provided is a bit too thin.
Sue Devitt Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder
August 2013 Glossybox
I was really pleased with the number of full size products in this month's box. This box had a value of $83! I just wish they all worked out. But such is the way of the subscription box - it won't always all work out for you. Happily, I finally earned my free box with Glossydots, so September will be free!! Yippee!

If you get Glossybox, did you get anything different? In the list of items for this month, I did see a nail polish and an Airelle product. Since If you'd like to sign up, here's my link. If anyone signs up with my link, I get 200 Glossydots, which I'd be super thankful for! Again, the link at the top is a non-referral link if you'd prefer.

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. The final link is a referral link, but I also included a non-referral link at the top.)



No comments:

Post a Comment