Thursday, August 1, 2013

Glossybox July 2013 Review

It's near the end of the month (ok, it was yesterday when I started this post!) - that means it's time for Glossybox! For $21/month, you get 5 deluxe-sized beauty samples. Occasionally, you get full sized items. It's a great sub because you get to try some higher-end brands. July's theme was "Le Grand Bleu" - an oceany theme.
Opening the box. Back to the pretty pink box.
Info card
First up was a 10 pack of Nicka K New York Absolute! Makeup Cleansing wipes ($1.49). I'm not sure if all the different varieties were sent out, but I got the fresh aloe extract version. I was a tad disappointed to find makeup removing wipes in Glossybox. Wipes are a Beauty Box 5 thing to me. I'll certainly try these, but I'm not terribly excited about them.
Nicka K New York Absolute! Makeup Cleansing Tissues
Next, was a deluxe sample (1 oz vs the full size 8 oz) of Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Masque ($3.12). Now, Glossybox values the full size at $40, while Amazon says the full price is $30 and their price is $24.95. Since the Brazilian Blowout site doesn't seem to sell their own products on the site (it seems they just direct you to salons), we're going with Amazon pricing. Anyway, I'm excited to try this. Deep conditioning sounds great and now that I've dyed my hair for the first time in like 5 years, I'm happy to see that it's color safe. 
Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Mask
Following up with the cleansing trend, the next product was a deluxe sample (1 oz vs the full size 6.8 oz) of Bvlgari Shampoo and Shower Gel ($6.18). It looks kind of like a hotel sample, but Bvlgari is a nice brand and it smells nice. The description of the scent says it's based on white tea, but it smells a bit musky to me, which I really like. I'll toss it in my travel bag. 
Next up was a teeny tiny sample (5 mL - although the full size is only 15 mL) of Evologie Intensive Blemish Serum ($11.67). My face is luckily usually pretty clear, but next time I break out, I'll try this! It seems to get great reviews. I know I got a sample from them once in a previous Glossybox (I think it might even be the same product - but for some reason when I resubbed to Glossybox, it entered as a new subscription, so I don't think I could complain about the repeat. EDIT: Ok, I just went and checked and the product I got last time from Glossybox included this and another product in the line in a little box, so this isn't even the full sample! That's a little underwhelming to say the least.), but I still haven't had to use it, so for now, this just goes into the "if I need it" drawer. 
Evologie Intensive Blemish Serum and coupon
 A product I was a bit more excited to see was a tiny Nails Inc London polish in Baker Street ($3.80). It's a gorgeous bright blue. And although the description mentions something about Beyonce, who I couldn't care less about, I prefer to think of the name referring to 221b Baker Street (hehe, I'm totally hooked on Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch - yum. Cannot wait until the new episodes start up again!). And I really don't mind the size. I have so many polishes, I don't think I need to worry about running out.
Nails Inc London polish in Baker Street (not that they're terribly similar, but just to note, it's not the color I'm wearing in the pic)
My last product was a full size tube of Figs & Rouge Tinted Lip Balm in Cherry Blossom ($9.00 here). At first, when I saw this, I was like "Oh boy. Another lip color to stick in the drawer and never use." BUT!! I tried it, and it is AWESOME!! I couldn't believe it. A tinted lip balm that I love! It's flattering (and not too bright!) and smells so amazing. And I'm actually going to use it. A lot! This was a total surprise hit. I might even consider trying the other 2 colors. But, I really love this color, so who knows. (Also, and I can't believe I'm admitting this, but when I started writing out "I tried it, and" I almost finished it with "now I like it" - if you have a kid who likes Yo Gabba Gabba, you'll know these are words to a song they sing like every 3 episodes. It's awful. And now it's in my head again. Bah. If you don't have kids, you probably just think I'm nuts. It's ok.)
Figs & Rouge Tinted Lip Balm in Cherry Blossom
Swatch of the lip balm. Bottom is just applied, just above is blended in quite a bit.
Glossybox July 2013
I'd almost say this box was worth it just for the lip balm and the polish, at least in terms of getting things I like a lot. Overall, the value of the box was $35.26, which is over the cost of the box, so that's great. The other 4 items were a bit more meh than I'm used to with Glossybox, but they'll almost definitely get used. They just weren't exciting. On the upside, I believe once I get the chance to review these all for Glossydots, I'll have earned my free box! I'm thinking that won't be before I'm charged for August though, so it looks like September will probably be my free box. Either way, woo hoo! 

If you get Glossybox, did you get anything different? I think there was a BB cream or something in place of the Evologie half-sample, so I'd love to hear how that is. If you'd like to sign up, here's my link. If anyone signs up with my link, I get 200 Glossydots, which I'd be super thankful for! Again, the link at the top is a non-referral link if you'd prefer. They don't seem to have a current promo going for a free item when you sign up, but I'll keep my eye out!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. The final link is a referral link, but I also included a non-referral link at the top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment