Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Notoriously Morbid Mineral Eyeshadow Review

A few weeks ago, I saw a review on A Magical Mom's website, for Notoriously Morbid cosmetics. Being a lover of all things eye, I instantly had to have some of their shadows too. I may have gone a bit overboard, haha. But, thankfully, they have sample sizes you can buy to try shades out before plunging into any full size jars. So, I got a whole bunch! I bought several sets of samples, a few solo samples, and a blogger special (I figure I should disclose this now - the set of browns was my choice for the blogger special, but I did still buy it with my own money and while I'm doing a review in return for the discount on that set, my opinions are honest and my own.). I swatched all the colors on my inner arm, with a layer of eye primer (I think I used Mirabella) and took pictures in an unlit area, in warm indoor lighting, and in natural light (ok, I stood next to a window with lots of sun coming in - I tried taking pictures outside, but my neighborhood is new and still has a lot of construction going on and the workers next door were giving me weird looks!).

I got my order very quickly and it was wrapped up all pretty in purple tissue paper.
I love that there's a handwritten bit on the note - it feels so much more personal than just a packing slip!


My samples!! Package on the left is my blogger pack, package on the right is all of the rest. She even included 2 free samples!
So, let's start off with the blogger pack - I chose browns (but not specific colors) and got 1 full size 5g jar of Trench Coat along with 5 sample baggies of Young Merlin, Doc Brown, Boe, Neno, and Nudist. The pack of browns was so nice. I was thrilled that Trench Coat was my full size jar - it's everyday wearable with some shimmer and just really lovely. I loved all the colors in Young Merlin - I could see red, brown, pink, and purple in this one. Doc Brown was a bit more coppery and pink and also really pretty - the sheen in the sun was gorgeous. Boe (and I have to say here, I love the ones with Doctor Who names! Teehee!) had a lovely orangey copper feel. Neno was spectacularly shimmery! Oh my gosh. When I stepped into the light, Neno just popped. So pretty. Nudist was probably my least favorite of the bunch, simply because it's more basic, but everyone needs a basic to blend with and this is a good nude.
Low lighting - I found that this shows the basic color without showing off the sheens or shimmers
Indoor lighting - look at the shimmer pop! I should've taken videos too. Seeing these while moving my arm around was soo pretty!!
Sunlight from a window. The sheens show up nicely here! Also the shimmer.

Next up, are my 2 free samples - Andorian and Stripper Zombie. Funny enough, I was considering adding Andorian to my order, so that was a great bonus. Stripper Zombie is much more out of my comfort zone, but this was a great way to try it! I love how these shadows look different in different lights. The sheens really show up in sunlight and the shimmer/sparkle shows up really well in indoor lighting. Andorian was very pretty - I'm glad this was included as one of my free samples. I was suprised at how much I liked Stripper Zombie too. I definitely couldn't pull it off as the main color, but blended with something darker, it would look amazing. I have a few darker greens that would probably pair with it really nicely.

Low lighting
Indoor lighting
Sunlight from a window
Notoriously Morbid has a few sets listed in her shop - the first set I ordered was the "Pretty Pop of Color" set, which included Tenarman's Tears, Poisoned Grapes, and Morgana. Morgana was the whole reason I decided to order from Notoriously Morbid. I saw Magical Mom's swatch and had to have it. Tenarman's Tears, like Stripper Zombie, is a bit out of my comfort zone as I usually go for darker colors, but again, once I saw it, I thought it was pretty and saw the possibilities for blending! Polished Grapes was wonderful of course - it would be hard for me to find a purple I don't love. And just as I'd hoped, Morgana was amazing. I wish pictures could really show what it looks like in person. It's just gorgeous.
Low lighting
Indoor lighting - this one really shows off Morgana's purple sheen!
Sunlight from a window
My next set was "Trip to Oz", which included Witch with a Wand, Nighttime in Emerald City, and Shoes to Kill For. These were all lovely, but I think my favorite is Witch with a Wand.  It's a great neutral that I can use everyday. It has a pretty sheen in light, too! I'm a bit unsure how to use the red, so I'll have to look up some picture ideas - it's so pretty, though, with it's sparkle!
Low lighting
Indoor lighting
Sunlight from a window
Next up is the "Greens in Season" set, which included Mint to Die For, Green Goblin, Welcome to Vinnland, and Nighttime in Emerald City (whoops, I somehow didn't realize this had a shade in common with the Oz set!). Ooh, I really loved Welcome to Vinnland. Beautiful dark green with sparkle! I wasn't a huge fan of Mint to Die For, but again, I think it's just not my style because it's light and mostly, if not totally, matte. I'll try blending it into a look, though.
Low lighting
Indoor lighting
Sunlight from a window
My final set was the "Black to Gray" set, which included Kompanion No. 9, Oodity, Silence, and Vashta Nerada. Lots of Doctor Who names there! :) This set had 2 favorites for me. First, Kompanion No. 9, which looks gray in low light, but has a surprising gorgeous pink sheen in light! Love it!! My other favorite was Silence, which, wait a minute, what was I talking about? (Heh, sorry - Doctor Who reference there - after you see the creatures called the Silence, you don't remember it.) Anyway, it's super sparkly and funny enough, hard to forget because it's so pretty!
Low lighting
Indoor lighting
Sunlight from a window - look at that pretty sheen on Kompanion No. 9!
 And finally, because I'm obsessed and didn't already have enough, I added 7 more samples (Rose, Dita, Phoenix Flame, Storm, Mystique, The Doctor's Wife, and Lunatic Shrilling) and one full size jar (Black Rainbow). I may have a problem. ;) I think my 3 favorites of these are Dita, Mystique, and Black Rainbow. Dita was gorgeous - I just love the dark pink/maroon color and the sheen is amazing. Similarly, Mystique was also gorgeous - the sheen is soo pretty! Black Rainbow, which I just could not photograph accurately, was awesome - tons of multi-colored sparkles!
Low lighting
Indoor lighting
Sunlight from a window
And just for fun - I'd say The Doctor's Wife (third from the bottom) is pretty close to Tardis blue! :)
Overall, I'm thrilled with my experience with Notoriously Morbid cosmetics. All of the colors applied easily and super pigmented. It was soo refreshing to have a product that didn't need like 18 coats, like drug store brands, to even show up. Although my pictures are a few swipes (just to make sure they were wide enough to show off the color well), you really don't have to use much product on your eyes to get the full effect, which is awesome. Also, I just ordered a foiling medium, which is supposed to help colors pop even more!! Not that these need it, but I can't wait to experiment!

I would definitely buy from them again, though I need to work through my samples first! After swatching all these, I transferred each one into a jar with a sifter (easier for me to use than to keep in the baggie and the sifter keeps it from dumping portions out that get stuck in the lid grooves every time you open it), and the baggies are very generous samples. I can see myself probably buying full size jars of Dita, Mystique, Kompanion No. 9, Silence, Welcome to Vinnland, Witch with a Wand, Morgana, Young Merlin, and possibly Neno. If you like eyeshadow, I highly recommend Notoriously Morbid!

(I bought all of these samples myself. Only the Blogger Pack was discounted for bloggers. All opinions are completely honest and my own.)


No comments:

Post a Comment