Sunday, August 4, 2013

Square Hue August 2013 Review

Because I didn't already have enough polish (ha!), I decided to give Square Hue a try. When I signed up, they had a deal where your first month was $14.99, but the normal monthly price is $21. Each month, you get 3 pre-selected colors - no choosing like Julep, and no bonus beauty products like pretty much all the other polish subs. But they treat that as a positive - they think we don't really use/want the unknown bonuses, so for them, the polish is the focus. I personally don't dislike bonuses, especially when it's included in the same monthly price, but this box was discounted, so I figured I'd try anyway.

There is a hint that's released a month earlier for the collection you'll get, and this month's theme was Endless Summer.
Opening the box (cute, small box)
First peek
I do really like the way the polishes are presented. There's something attractive about the 3 square polishes all in little slots. Simple. When I saw the colors, I actually didn't think they were terribly summery. In fact, they made me think of fall. Which, actually, I really like! I'm so ready for fall. It doesn't cool off here in TX till like December, but fall's my favorite season. Pumpkins, Halloween, Thanksgiving, autumn colors (ok, not so much in TX :( ), fall scents. I love it all.

The first color is Bikini Beach, a warm yellow. It's pretty, but I don't wear yellows often. I pull one out from time to time to try to incorporate it into a look, but the best I've done so far is dot it on my ring finger on top of gray with some blue dots as well. I need to figure out a fuller look with yellow. This is a warmer yellow than anything else I have, so thankfully, it's new to me.
Square Hue Bikini Beach
The second color is Scorched Summer, a burnt orange. It's nice. I do have a couple Julep colors that are somewhat similar - I think the closest just looking at the bottles is Claudette (though on their website, it looks redder). I'll have to swatch them to see if they're similar. The other color, Ingrid, is lighter than this.
Square Hue Scorched Summer
The third color, and by far my favorite, is Surf Gypsy. Wow, this is so pretty!! I love the burgundy color and the sparkles! I can't wait to wear this! I definitely don't have anything else like this.
Square Hue Surf Gypsy
I'm pretty happy with my first box. I peeked at the hint for September and it's The Serengeti Collection. Based on the picture, I'm guessing maybe a beige, a dark green (or light, maybe), and a brown or something. I'm not too wild on it, so I may pause my subscription for next month. I do like that I can pause if I don't like a month. I just hope I'm not totally wrong on my guesses for colors.
Square Hue September hint
As you can see in that picture, if you sign up now, they have a deal where your box is $14.99 plus shipping/handling for the length of your subscription, which comes out to I think $19.99, so it saves you about a dollar. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them - I asked them if I could possibly sign up for that deal since I only signed up a month ago. It's only a dollar difference from what my price is going up to for my next month, so if they say no, it's not the end of the world, but it would still be nice. Anyway, if you want to sign up, go to the Square Hue website!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment