Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Skoshbox July 2013 Review

One of my favorite things to do at Epcot is pick up a bunch of Japanese candy from Mistukoshi in the Japan pavillion, so when I heard about a subscription service that ships out Japanese candy every month, I had to try it! It's called Skoshbox! For $12 a month, you get a box with a combination of traditional snacks, candies, and fun items like erasers or stationery. I signed up for their first month ever as a subscription service. As a note, the info card didn't come with prices and I'm having a hard time finding many of these online, so I'm not going to do a price tally for this box. I also apologize for half of these pictures being in the wrong orientation. Part of that is my unfamiliarity with Japanese, but part is Photobucket being stubborn and giving me errors about not being able to access a few of the pictures to edit them.
Opening the box. Cute card with info on the back (which I forgot to take a picture of and then scribbled all over with notes)
The first thing I saw opening the box, as you can see in the picture, was a set of chopsticks! They seem decent quality and they're really cute!
Chopsticks! (you can also see a bit of the info card, just to see what it looks like)
Onto the snacks! There were 9 different snacks to try! As promised, there was a mixture of sweet candies and more savory snacks. Since most of the labeling was in Japanese, I had to kind of figure out as I went what was what on the info list.
  • Suzume No Tamago. This was a bag of rice cracker balls with peanuts inside. Before I figured out what this was, I wasn't expecting a peanut taste. They looked kind of like rice balls, but I thought there would be a salty, seaweed taste. They were ok, but there was kind of a sweetness I didn't really like about it. 
Suzume No Tamago
  •  Elise Stick. Described as a "crispy wafer stick with a rich creamy milk or matcha filling". Mine was milk, or as the package says "white cream". This was really tasty! It pretty much was exactly as described and reminded me of something, but for some reason I can't remember what. It was good though!

Elise Stick
  • Mini Salad. I'm not sure where they come up with the names for these things. This was a rice cracker with a salty coating. The note card says it's a "savory salad-dressing-like coating", but I'm not so sure about that. It was salty and tasty, though!
Mini Salad
  •  Umaibo. This was kind of like a giant puffed Cheeto.  The info card said "cheese and corn potage flavors". I'm not sure if there were 2 different varieties that went out in each of those flavors or if the snack is a combination of both. I only got one kind. They seem cheesy, but have an extra flavor I can't put my finger on. I don't think I've ever had corn potage, but maybe that's what gives this a sweeter flavor than Cheetos? A sweeter flavor I found a bit odd. This wasn't my favorite snack.

Umaibo
  •  Cheese Kibun. Another rice cracker, but with a cheese flavor. This was my least favorite item in the box. The cheese flavor was off and it seemed to have a slight spicy flavor to me. Now, I'm a total wuss when it comes to spice, so I may be alone in finding spiciness here. Pepper is sometimes too spicy for me. My husband was an oil brat growing up and spent a good portion of his younger years living in Indonesia eating a lot of spicy stuff. He laughs at my sensitivity to spice because when we go to, like, a Thai restaurant, he gets everything as spicy as they'll make it - and sometimes surprises waiters/waitresses by asking for more spice, which occasionally prompts the "Where did you grow up?" question. Funny enough, after he answers, sometimes they bring out special spices for him! Spices that I'm surprised don't ignite me from across the table. Anyway, back to the post, I didn't like this snack.
Cheese Kibun. Photobucket decided this one looks better upside down.
  • Fruit Gummy. I got 2 gummies - grape and melon. They were both good, but I liked grape better. They were yummy! Not as chewy as most gummies you'd find here. 
  • Milk Caramel. These were fine. I like caramels, but they weren't terribly special or fantastic. 
  • Fuwa Fuwa Jelly. Described as "fluffy marshmallow jelly, cider, or melon". These are a bit hard to describe. Not really a marshmallow or a chewy candy - kind of a combination. It was sugar coated and had a white part (marshmallow I guess, but not entirely that consistency, somehow not as soft, but chewier) and cubes of jelly (like the fruit gummies above) mixed in. I'm not sure which flavor I got, but this was AMAZING!! I want a whole package of these! And I don't know where to find them!! The Skoshbox store isn't stocked yet and when I look up Fuwa Fuwa Jelly on Bing, all I get is a bunch of stuff about clay. So if anyone knows where I can find them, please let me know! Hopefully, Skoshbox will get back to me about it.
Assorted smaller candies. Yellow are the caramels, green and pink are the fruit gummies, and the clear and blue package is the awesome Fuwa Fuwa Jelly!
  •  Almondrush. A big chocolate bar with almonds! This is the only one I haven't tried yet, but I love almonds and chocolate, so I'm sure I'll love this!
Almondrush

Skoshbox July 2013 (I forgot to put the chopsticks in for the picture)
 I thought this was a really fun box! I like trying out new snacks, but I think I may have this as a more occasional box that I buy than keeping the subscription going full time. I don't know that I need to have a big box of snacks each month. I'm sure I will buy another in the future at some point though!

If you'd like to sign up for Skoshbox, head over to their site! If you already get the box, did you like this month's box? What was your favorite and least favorite snack from the box?

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment