Tuesday, July 16, 2013

New Beauty Test Tube July 2013

New Beauty Test Tube is a subscription box that used to be just a twice-a-year service, but has recently changed to every other month. I love that I get them more often now! For $29.95 plus shipping, you get a box with a big pink tube (and often an extra bag of stuff that didn't fit in the tube) filled with deluxe samples and a few full sized items as well as a copy of the New Beauty magazine.
I unfortunately forgot to take my usual opening the box picture, but here's what I got this month:
New Beauty Test Tube for July 2013 (not pictured is the hefty New Beauty magazine that comes with each shipment)
First up, my "Bonus Products" bag! May's bonus products legitimately didn't fit in the tube and I was thrilled to see the extra bag of stuff. This month, eh, really, it fit. I'm not sure why it wasn't just put in the tube. Maybe to make it look like we got more? Or maybe the bonus bag is something everyone gets the same of while the tube products can vary? Either way, here's what I got:
  • Boost-it Instant Complexion Enhancer - this can be used alone or under makeup as a primer and promises to brighten your complexion. When I swatched it on my hand, it looked like a nice color, so I'm looking forward to using this. I'm not sure I'd go full face or if that would just look too shiny, so I think I'll start with brow bones and cheek bones.
  • Nip + Fab No Needle Fix Serum - I'm intrigued by this. I do have a few fine lines forming around my eyes and between my eyebrows and this is supposed to plump/fill those up. I wish we got a bigger sample though! This is pretty much only 2 uses unless it doesn't dry out once opened. That's why I hate foil packets - you have to use it all up at once or hope it doesn't dry out. And unless I'm getting like 20 packets, it's hard to determine if something works with such a small sample.
  • Dalton Colour Lip Creme Gloss - I believe this is full size! I got it in the color Janie, which is pretty dark, but I can apply lightly or blot and it's not so bad. It's supposed to also plump, which is nice.
Bonus products for July
 Onto the tube!
  • Pantene Expert Collection Age Defy Shampoo and Conditioner - we got travel sizes of these. Definitely enough to test it out for at least a week. This is supposed to fight dryness, breakage, and thinning. My hair isn't thinning, but I do wear it up a lot, so I do get some breakage. And I do really like how Pantene makes my hair feel when I use it. So silky! It's supposed to be gentle enough for colored hair too, which is good because I think I'm about to dye my hair. Assuming the color doesn't turn my test patch purple like the last brand I tried out...
  • It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Lite - This protects against humidity, heat, and split ends, all while making your hair shiny, silky and detangled! Sure! I'll definitely try this! It's not a bad size either. 
July's hair products
  •  ORLY nail polish in Haute Red - It's red. Not the most exciting color for me since I know I have a red I like, but ORLY is a nice brand and this is full size. I've also seen variations with a pale pink and a pale blue-green.
  • Perlage Illuminating Primer - Well, I can't seem to find this anywhere to link it (other than samples on eBay), but it's a cream primer. I'm not really sure about the illuminating aspect, since it seemed like a regular lotion, but I'll try it. It's a pretty small sample.
  • Your Best Friend Automatic Eyebrow Pencil in Universal Taupe - I have a hard time believing this works for every conceivable natural brow color. I just can't see it working as well for black as it does for red. For my hair, mousy brown, sure. It'll work. The pencil is a twist up on one end and a spoolie brush on the other to comb your brows. My go-to is Revlon's pencil/gel duo in, oddly enough, dark blonde (brunette was just too dark), so we'll see how it compares. 
July's miscellaneous products. (I probably should have put these last since they didn't really fit into the other categories)
  •  Philosophy Purity Made Simple facial cleanser - I know I bought this once and had high hopes for it. I bought it along with a few other products in that line and something didn't agree with my skin. That was years ago, and I've since gotten rid of what I bought, so I guess I'll give the cleanser a try on its own. I know this line does get rave reviews.
  • Tarte Pure Maracuja oil - Boy, all these different oils (Moroccan, argan, now this) that are popular all of a sudden. I'm not sure what the difference really is between them all. This one is specifically for the face, whereas I know Argan can be used in the hair, face, or body. The Tarte site says "Pure maracuja oil is a hydrating treatment oil known for its anti-aging and healing properties for firmer, brighter, and smoother looking skin, and will not cause breakouts." That sounds nice. I still feel a little hesitant putting oil on my skin, but I will try it. 
  • Lumene Pure Radiance Night Cream - I'm pretty sure I got the day cream in my last Test Tube, so it's nice to get the night cream to go along with it! This is supposed to detox your skin to make it brighter. Sounds great!
July's face products
  •  MoroccanOil Body Butter - This is supposed to be extremely moisturizing to leave your skin super soft, so I'm excited to try it! Not a bad sized sample, either!
July's body product

Swatches of the Boost-it Instant Complexion Enhancer (not blended very much) and Dalton gloss (also not blended much).
Overall, I'm happy with the mix of products I got. Lots of things I'm looking forward to trying! What did you think of this month's products? Did you get anything different?
If you'd like to sign up, leave your email address in a comment and I'll send you an invite that gets you $5 off your first Tube!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment