Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Goodies July 2013 Review

Just on a whim this month, I decided to try out the Goodies box. For only $7 a month, they send you a box of snacks. I'm not sure if there's a set number of snacks each month. It's pretty inexpensive, so I figured why not? After saying it was supposed to get here Saturday, it finally arrived yesterday, Tuesday. There doesn't seem to be a monthly theme, but here's my box:
Opening the box.
It was packed well - nothing melted, bust open, or spilled, so that's a plus, especially when there's a liquid included. There wasn't really an info card, just a note explaining their upcoming box size changes (smaller boxes for smaller samples, bigger for bigger - just depends on the month).

My first item was a small bag of Cosmos Creations Salted Caramel baked corn snacks ($0.70). They tasted pretty good, but a tad on the too-sweet side, and I'm kind of picky about caramel corn. My hubby's cousins own some popcorn stands in Maryland and we always get a big tub of it and it's fantastic, especially fresh. This wasn't popcorn. This was baked corn. I suppose some might prefer this because there are no husks or unpopped kernels, but to me, it's just got kind of a weird consistency. I was reminded of the time that I bought some white cheddar puffed corn instead of the popcorn at Target - blech. Just not what I was expecting. It's just not the same. This snack was fine, just not my favorite. Plus it was a really small bag. I'm not sure what I was expecting with this box, I just figured it would be at least the smallest size they sell (2.5 oz rather than the .7 oz bag we got).
Cosmos Creations Salted Caramel baked corn snack
Next up was a small bag of Crunchmaster Multi-grain crackers with sea salt ($0.42). Boy, these are some inexpensive samples. Anyway, I wasn't a fan of these. I normally like multi-grain bread and crackers, but this, again, had a weird consistency. It was way crunchier and, oddly, shinier, than I expected. Maybe that's because it's gluten free? Is this what gluten free stuff tastes like? It's 2 main ingredients are brown rice flour and whole grain yellow corn. I think it's the corn that gives it more of a chip consistency than cracker. It was salty, which I like, but that's about it.
Crunchmaster Multi-grain crackers, sea salt flavor
My next item was a good sized bag of The Better Chip Spinach & Kale with seal salt chips (~$1.10 for their brand on Amazon, my flavor was not listed). My first bite of these was not great, but I made myself try another. Surprisingly, they grew on me. It's an odd flavor, for sure, but I think I actually liked them. Not enough to buy more, but it made a decent snack today.
The Better Chip Spinach and Kale with sea salt chips
My last food item was Gimbal's Cherry Lovers fruit chews ($1.29). Again, not exactly what I expected when I first looked at it (jelly beans), they're actually pretty good. They're a bit bigger and softer than normal jelly beans, and are made with real fruit juice. I've only had a few, but the flavors I've tried were all good. I think I'd eat these again, but again, I probably wouldn't go buy them myself.
Gimbal's Cherry Lovers fruit chews
My last item, a drink, was Glaceau Sparkling Fruit Water in Strawberry Kiwi ($2.40 for this flavor on Amazon). I do occasionally buy similar drinks from Target, but I usually buy flavors like black cherry and blackberry. Pretty much never strawberry kiwi - I just don't like it. This was no different. Like I mentioned in my last Jungle Stand post, I just don't like strawberry flavored things. I'll see if Chris wants it. Or maybe Emily. I kind of wish I had gotten any of the other flavors, but I realize you can't choose what you get in your box.
Glaceau sparkling fruit water in strawberry kiwi
July 2013 Goodies box
Overall, I was a bit underwhelmed. My overall value was only $5.91, not even what I paid for the box. That's disappointing. I don't expect a huge value, but I at least expect $7. Plus, I really only liked 2 things in this box. I would normally give the box one more month, but I just decided it wasn't worth it. I'd rather put that $7 towards a different box. So, it's canceled.
Did you get a Goodies box this month? Did you get different flavors? If you'd like to look into getting one yourself, head over to their website.

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment