Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Glossybox June 2013 Review

Well, since I started this blog so late in June, I'm still working on my June boxes as July ones start to come, so I'm going to try to crank out the last few June boxes so that I can move on to July.

Glossybox is, well, it's complicated for me. It was the second box I ever subscribed to (the first being Birchbox, which I don't get anymore) and I kept it for a long time, but I'm at a point now where I'm not sure I want to keep it anymore. For $21/month, you get 5 deluxe-sized beauty samples. Occasionally, you get full sized items. It's a great sub because you get to try good-quality brands - often I'm surprised at how expensive a full-sized version sells for. In my case, that can be a bit of a bummer because I probably won't buy that full-sized item, even if it's great, but at least this box lets you try a good sized sample of it!

Now then, as much as I do like this subscription, I had actually canceled my subscription after my May box because, in spite of them having a beauty profile that you fill out with basic information like skin type/tone and hair type/color, I kept getting products that weren't at all for my skin tone. As I've mentioned before, I'm super pale. In May, I got a foundation sample that was the darkest color available. When I contacted customer service, I was told they were out of the lightest color, but they did at least send me a product of my choice to make up for it - even after I told them I already canceled. So at least their customer service was good. But that was the second time I had gotten something for a way darker complexion than my own that I couldn't use, so that's why I canceled. Spoilers came out for June and at first, I wasn't too tempted, but then I saw someone's box and realized that there were 2 things I really wanted, so I caved and ordered it. And really, I'm so close to having enough Glossydots for a free box (you get 20 dots for completing surveys on the products you received and occasionally there are higher-value surveys that get you a bit more. At 1000, you get a free box) that I might just stick around till I get that free box, then reevaluate.

So, the theme of July's box was American Beauty and it was a collaboration with Dallas Shaw, who I have to admit, I've never heard of, but apparently is a style expert and illustrator. She illustrated this month's special box:
Opening the box - normally, we get a pink box (and these strong boxes are great for storing stuff!).

First, we got the usual Glossybox Magazine. I'm not sure I've ever really read the whole thing. I tell them in every monthly survey that I don't, but I guess enough people do that they keep it. It just seems like a big advertisement to me. I also noticed there wasn't an info card this month. I'm not sure if that was just me, but it seemed weird since we usually do get one.

Onto the actual products, starting with my least favorite, we got a Tarte Complexion Enhancing Lipstick. I'm not sure if this is QVC-exclusive, but I couldn't find it on the Tarte website. Either way, this is valued at $29, which is already over the price of the box! Sadly, yet again, I didn't get the correct color for my skin tone. Surprise surprise! Maybe it's because I ordered so late in the month, but I'm not sure that's a good excuse either - make sure you have enough for anyone who might subscribe at any point in the month! I got Medium-Tan, which was scary looking in the tube, not so bad looking on my hand, but orangey on my lips. :( It did feel soft and creamy though, for what it's worth.
Tarte's Complexion Enhancing Lipstick in Medium-Tan
Top swatch is unblended, bottom is blended.
Next up was the Phillip B. Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse. The Phillip B. website values the 2 oz size we got at $10. I'm looking forward to trying this! Sadly, I easily fall into the rut of mom-messybun hair, so when I actually do my hair, I love to pamper myself with a nice conditioner to make it soft and shiny to wear down. Definitely a win here! I believe there were 2 other varieties of Phillip B. products you could get - a leave-in conditioner and a detangling mist. I'm happy with the variety I got.
Philip B. Light-Weight Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse
My next product was SpaRitual nail polish in Kiss the Cook. I'm not sure what this is valued at since I can't find it for sale online - it seems to be sold exclusively, at least in my state, at spas and salons. I'm guessing around $8? But it's full size and 4-free, which is great, and it's a really pretty dark red. Not terribly summery, but fall's coming, so I'll definitely be using this then!
SpaRitual polish in Kiss the Cook
Onto the products that I was most excited for! First is a set of samples for the entire Oscar de la Renta Essential Luxuries perfume collection. Though I'm not sure how to value the sample set, each full sized (3.4 oz) bottle of this collection costs $150 - woah. This is an example of even if I like it, not going to buy it! I tend to have pretty inexpensive tastes in scents anyway - I love the Pacifica rollerballs! But I really wanted to get this little sample collection to play with anyway! Originally, when I saw spoilers, I thought we'd just be getting one variety, and so I wasn't so disappointed about missing out, but then I saw a review show the full set and, well, that's when I decided to go for just one more box. So, here's the scents in the order that I like them:
  • Oriental Lace: described as dark and daring and containing "hoya carnosa flower with hints of honey and bitter almond surrounded by dark cacao and patchouli". I'm terrible at describing scents, but this one seemed musky and food-y to me. And probably the closest to something I'd wear regularly. I really like it.
  • Granada: described as "a romantic citrus floral" and containing "jasmine petals and bitter orange enlightened by exotic roses". To me, this was a light floral. I don't go much stronger than light floral. I'm much more into sweet and musky scents. But I'd wear this occasionally.
  • Sargasso: described as "crisp, green, invigorating", and containing citrus, cucumber, and patchouli. When I smelled this, I instantly smelled the cucumber. It just smells green. It's fresh. I don't think I'd wear it often, but maybe once in a while.
  • Coralina: described as a "timeless, classic floral" and containing "mimosa, violet and orris, softened with luxurious woody green notes". This smelled a little bit "old lady" to me. Inoffensive, but not my style. Maybe I'll try it, but I don't know.
  • Mi Corazon: described as a "white floral" and containing "tuberose and ylang-ylang that mingle with peach". This was a strong floral. Too strong for me. 
  • Santo Domingo: described as a "smooth, smoky tabac fragrance" and containing "mandarin and coriander embrace the rich warmth of tobacco, patchouli and spices". To me, this smelled like church (or at least the Greek Orthodox churches I went to growing up). It was incensey and smokey and the only one I flat out do not like. At all. Oddly enough, it's the one suggested as the scent perfect for me via the little quiz on the Oscar de la Renta site. Nope. 
Oscar de la Renta Essential Luxuries sample set
The item I was most looking forward to and hadn't seen any official Glossybox hints for prior to reading some box reviews, is the c. Booth Honey Almond Nourishing Dry Oil Mist. Since this is half the size of the full-size, it's valued at about $3.50. I kept hearing how great this smelled and how soft it makes your skin and I just had to have it. I had wondered if I was missing out by skipping the dry oil in the Julep box for July (review coming as soon as I finish up my June reviews), so I was happy to get one here. And it is fantastic. It rubs in quickly and does have a fantastic sweet scent that I'm still sniffing about 2 hours after I applied it. I will use this whole sample up. And then buy the one at the link.
c. Booth Honey Almond Nourishing Dry Oil Mist
Finally, since I used a code when I re-subscribed, I got, I believe a full size, Model Co. Cheek and Lip tint. I already got this product in a past box, but I couldn't pass up a free item (valued at $22!). I was surprised I was able to get it, given that I already had an account and a past subscription, even though it was canceled. But I'm not complaining. Call it an incentive to get me back. It works pretty well, but I think I need to stock up on some makeup sponges because it definitely stains fingers.
Model Co. Cheek and Lip tint
June 2013 Glossybox (with bonus item)
I'm pretty happy with this box. I will use all but one item. I've already been billed for July, so hopefully between the 2 boxes, I'll get enough Glossydots to get August (or maybe Sept depending on when July's surveys become available) free. And then I'll reevaluate, as I said. I'm still a little annoyed at their pretty constant inability to pay attention to the beauty profile they made available to us. I don't want an item I can't use at all because it doesn't work with my skin tone - they know my skin tone, so that shouldn't be an issue. The biggest problem is that makeup samples are my favorite. The items I look forward to the most. And then because they ignored my skin tone, I'm let down. I know there are better makeup sub boxes (I probably subscribe to them!), but that doesn't mean it's ok for the makeup samples in this box to be throw-aways/gifts. So that's what I'll be watching for in the next few months.

Do you get Glossybox? Did you like the contents this month? If you'd like to sign up, here's my link. If anyone signs up with my link, I get 200 Glossydots, which I'd be super thankful for! Might just push me to the 1000 point level for that free box! Again, the link at the top is a non-referral link if you'd prefer. They don't seem to have a current promo going for a free item when you sign up, but I'll keep my eye out!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. The final link is a referral link, but I also included a non-referral link at the top.)

No comments:

Post a Comment