Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Ophelia's Apothecary June 2013 Review

One of my newer subscriptions is Ophelia's Apothecary. And oh, how I love it. For $15/month (or less if you go with a 3- or 6-month subscription), you get 4-6 handmade bath and body items (everything is paraben- and sulfate-free). When you sign up, the owner sends you an email with a survey asking about fragrance preferences, allergies, style/personality, etc to allow her to customize your box a bit.
My first box came a week or so ago and I loved it.
Opening the box - full of stuff!!
Information note. I love that there's a handwritten note from the owner! It feels so personal!

My first item was Buggers Be Gone bug spray. Totally useful and I love that it's safe for kids, too! We'll definitely use this!

Next was a rollerball perfume in the scent "Summer '13" which is described in the note as a mix of honey and florals. I love rollerball perfumes - I love being able to toss it in my bag because they're much more portable than big perfume bottles! I don't typically love florals on their own, but the honey must add something great to this one because I love it. It's summery and sweet and I'll definitely wear it!
 
Speaking of florals, my next item was a sample of Wild Honeysuckle Shea Butter soap. And again, while I normally don't like florals, I'm finding it must be certain florals I don't like because I love the smell of this soap. Definitely floral, but just really nice.
Next up is a sample of Lemony Meringue Hand and Cuticle cream. It does, in fact, smell just like Lemon Meringue! And it's thick and very moisturizing! I will definitely break this out in the winter months when my hands get super dry.
I also got a couple of makeup samples! Yay!! First up is a Red Velvet Lip Gloss. I'm not wild on lip products, but I'd go for a gloss before a lipstick. Especially if it's shimmery, like this one! It's a bit dark, but lip glosses can be applied as thick as you want, so I can still get just a hint of color. The note mentions that one is an "oops" batch (though nothing is wrong with it) and one is a lip tint. I think the one in the tube, which applies with a rollerball, is the tint. The little tub version smells amazing. Just like red velvet cake! The tube version seems to have a bit of something minty and tingly in it, which I like, but I cannot for the life of me get the color to come out. It just comes out clear! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've even tried shaking it and storing it upside down for several days. <shrug>
My second makeup sample is an eye shadow in White Sands. It's a beautiful shimmery white! I love eyeshadow and I love shimmer! I'll definitely use this as a highlight color! And I love that it's got the sifter tray - that makes it so much easier to get only as much product as you need to use. 
Swatches of the lip gloss and eye shadow.
Finally, Ophelia's Apothecary occasionally sends bonus items from other handmade sellers and this month we got an awesome set of copper earrings from Fonte Noir Jewelry. They're unique and really cool!
June 2013 Ophelia's Apothecary box (that basket in the back wasn't included - that's mine)
So, there you have it. My first Ophelia's Apothecary box. I loved it and I'm so glad I signed up for 3 months. I may be upping that to the 6 month as soon as it's up! It's awesome getting handmade goodies! If you want to sign up, go to their website! If you get this box, let me know if you got different things!

(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself and was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment