Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Birchbox January 2014 Review

Birchbox is a nice inexpensive sub where, for $10 a month (or less if you subscribe for a year), you get 4-6 sample products (though looking through my history, I have a box of 8 in there!). They're usually of the smaller variety, given that this is only a $10 sub, but there's occasionally a full sized item thrown in too. When you sign up, you fill out a profile (basic stuff - skin type, hair color/type, what basic kinds of products you like, etc) and there are I think 50 possible box combinations each month that you can get, which is, I suppose, somewhat based on your profile. You can also review your items each month, which doesn't have any impact on your future boxes, but does give you points - 10 points per review (100 points = $10) which you can ultimately use in their pretty large shop, which sells full size products. I recently resubscribed for a year with Birchbox after being away from them for about 6 months. The theme for January was "Go Time".

After watching the sneak peek video this month, I had my eyes set on a few different products I hoped I'd get. There's a huge number of variations each box can be, so I had no idea what I'd get. Sadly, I didn't get any of the things I was hoping for, but my box didn't end up being so bad anyway.
Theme card
Info card
My first item was a set of 3 foil packets of 100% Pure lotions - a reparative cream, a smoothing night cream, and an organic caffeine eye cream (Personally, I'd value 3 foil packets at $1 combined, but calculated from oz, it's technically $4.65 for all 3 combined.). I'm glad to have a variety to try, but I think I might have preferred just one larger sample not in a foil packet. I hate foil packets. They're one time use, no matter how much you use of the packet. Otherwise, you have a messy open packet laying around and most likely, my cat would try to eat it because she likes to try to eat anything plastic or foil that's laying around, so we don't do that. Really, I would've much preferred to try the 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara instead.
100% Pure foil packets
Next up was a Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme in a pretty nice .45 oz sample size ($1.80 - see, now how is this cheaper than the foil packets above??). I do already have one of these that I'm pretty sure I got from Birchbox last year and haven't tried yet. I'm not really sure why - it sounds nice! I don't think my old one says olive oil on the label, but I'm not sure they make more than one variety of this, so it must just be a slightly different label. Anyway, it's supposed to make hair smooth and shiny, so I'll make sure I try it this time around!
Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme
The next item was a full size (1.2g) Inika Mineral Eye Shadow in the color Eternal Marine ($25, although Birchbox says $20 - that's what they're selling it for, so I guess we'll stick with $20). As expected, I'm thrilled with this, both because it's full size (although, I think it might be a tad small for full size compared to indie brands, especially at this price) and because it's mineral eye shadow! It's a nice grayish green color. I don't think I have anything like it! Also, thankfully, it has a sifter inside so it doesn't all pour out when you try to open it.
Inika Mineral Eyeshadow in Eternal Marine
My last main product in the box was a full size set of Nail Rock polish and nail glitter in red (Birchbox says $6.99, but that's how much the site lists it in British pounds, so switching to US dollars, it appears to actually be $11.31. Then again, Birchbox's site is selling it for $7, so I guess we'll go with that.). Looking at the options on the Birchbox site (because I can't find the others on the Nail Rock site), there are a few I think I would have really preferred, like the sequin green or one of the caviars, or even one of the velvets, just to see something different, but I'll probably at least try this out on an accent nail. I think all of my nails would be way too over the top.
Nail Rock Nail Glitter set
Finally, my lifestyle bonus was a set of 3 Ahmad teas (~$1?). Meh. I do like tea, but I'm avoiding caffeine for now, and none of the ones I got seem to be caffeine free, so I guess I'll just put them aside till my next period (I let myself have a bit of caffeine then).
Ahmad Teas
January 2014 Birchbox
So, all in all, not a bad box. I'll definitely try everything. I'm a little disappointed in the foil packets, but oh well. I'm happy about the shadow and polish, so I guess it evens out. Overall, this box, version 58, has an approximate value of $34.45, which is good for a $10 box!

If you get Birchbox, what did you get for January? I know there are quite a lot of variations. If you don't already get Birchbox and are interested in signing up, please use my link!


(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself. I was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment