Saturday, May 31, 2014

May 2014 Birchbox Review

Birchbox is another nice inexpensive sub where, for $10 a month (or less if you subscribe for a year), you get 4-6 sample products (though looking through my history, I have a box of 8 in there!). They're usually of the smaller variety, given that this is only a $10 sub, but there's occasionally a full sized item thrown in too. When you sign up, you fill out a profile (basic stuff - skin type, hair color/type, what basic kinds of products you like, etc) and there are I think 50 possible box combinations each month that you can get, which is, I suppose, somewhat based on your profile. You can also review your items each month, which doesn't have any impact on your future boxes, but does give you points - 10 points per review (100 points = $10) which you can ultimately use in their pretty large shop, which sells full size products. The theme for May was "Freewheeling".
Opening the box
Info card
My first item this month was a Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner ($16). I believe these are exclusive to Birchbox. For some reason, I got 2 of these. I think that may have been a mistake. Especially since they were both the same silver color! Anyway, I don't use silver eyeliner a whole lot, since it's a pretty bold look to do all over your eye, but I have been using it just to add a little brightness to the inner corners of my eyes and a little accent to the outer edge as well. I also recently saw a really cute look where a person kind of layered silver and black for a semi-smokey look, so I'll definitely be trying that! The eyeliner has a really nice, smooth glide! I'm tempted to buy the Charcoal color as well (although, I'm not sure I NEED it - I have so much eyeliner!).
Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner
My next set of products was a set of 2 foil packets of Kerastase Cristaliste shampoo and conditioner ($2). I hate foil packets. This was one use. That being said, I brought it along with me on our trip up to NJ for Memorial Day weekend and I'm not sure if it was just the change in shower water (and total lack of humidity afterwards) or if it was this, but my hair looked FANTASTIC after I used it. In spite of it's fairly hefty price tag, I'm tempted to buy some. The Birchbox site only has the big size, which would cost me $79 for the 2 (or I could just buy the shampoo and get a sample of the conditioner free with the code KERASTASECONDITION, but it's just a sample size), but I should have $40 in BB points after next month's box, so that would help. On the other hand, since I'm not entirely sure it wasn't just the change in water (that's why I really wish we'd gotten small bottles rather than foil packets!), I could just buy the small size set from the Kerastase website for $36. Choices...
Kerastase Cristaliste shampoo and conditioner
Next up was a small sample tube of Noya Beauty Lip Gloss in Summertime Peach ($8). I'm surprised this little tube is worth $8. I'm a terrible judge of size, so reading that the full size is 3mL means nothing to me - off the top of my head, I have no idea if that's a normal size or not for lip gloss - but the little 1.5 mL sample looks tiny for $8! Anyway, the color isn't great on me. I hoped it would work out since I'm doing better with adding some color to my lips and glosses and colored balms are my go-tos, but it was just too orangey/peach for my skin. It didn't feel sticky though, so that's a plus, and it's kosher, if that's something that's important to you.
Noya Beauty Lip Gloss
Next was a nice sized tube of Perlier Body Cream in Shea Almond ($4.29). The 2 possible scents BB had were Shea Almond and Shea Lavender and I'm soo happy I got almond! I like lavender, too, but I've been on a huge almond kick lately. This one doesn't smell quite as good as some of my other almond scented lotions and oils, but I'll definitely still use it! It moisturizes nicely, too!
Perlier Body Cream in Shea Almond
My last product was a slice of Sumbody Body Soap ($5.95). This was one small size bar of the set of 3 small bars you'd get in Birchbox's Sumbody soap set. I got the "milky rich" scent, which is vanilla/citrus (yum!) and they all contain "olive and coconut oils, goat milk, shea and cocoa butters, and aromatherapy essential oils". I don't typically use bar soaps, but this one sounds pretty nice, so I'll definitely be trying it out. I just spend 5 minutes browsing their site and I'm intrigued by their other products as well!
Sumbody Body Soap
Swatches of the Noya lip gloss and Cynthia Rowley eyeliner
May 2014 Birchbox
I was pretty happy with this box! I found a few new brands I may buy more from, which is the whole point of these boxes! The only dud for me was the lip gloss, so I call this box a win.

If you get Birchbox, what did you get for May? I know there are quite a lot of variations. If you don't already get Birchbox and are interested in signing up, please use my link!


(And just a disclaimer: I bought this box myself. I was not compensated for this review in any way. All opinions are my own. I have included referral links.)

No comments:

Post a Comment